Posted to dev@depot.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/08/19 19:28:25 UTC

Re: Management of "external" JARs et. al.

On Thursday 19 August 2004 18:35, Tobias Wolf wrote:

> In an first approach I simply created the directory 'template' and 'jars'
> under my .magic/main and defined it as an ressource in my index.xml. When i
> can append it to the dependencies of my project and i am finished. Now I am
> able to use the functionality provides with this JAR in my Servlets.
>
> Maybe there already exists an better way to do this and I missed it.

There are other ways, but let's continue on the thread you started on IRC.

There are a few issues with 'external non-mavenized artifacts';

1. How are they included into a project managed by Magic?
2. How do we assign groups and possibly name and version to these?
3. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do ensure that all users, across both Magic and
Maven (possibly others) are assigning the same group?

Tobias made the contribution of raising the issue on IRC, and I have some
ideas. Let's just drop the first 2 and concentrate on what really matters...

If we can get to an agreement with Maven folks, that a LINK document can exist
in the central repositories, and that LINKDOC contains information to the
user where/how to download the jar file, and perhaps a "Naming Rule" in form
of a regular substitution expression, we could actually get somewhere.

That would allow "us" (as in people who are interested in the central
repository concept) to provide the proper grouping and how the versioning is
handled of the downloaded artifact. The tools maker are then free to figure
out how to communicate this information to the user.

WDYAT ??

Cheers
Niclas

--