Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by dshih <ds...@tableau.com> on 2018/08/24 22:41:37 UTC

LOG4J_CONFIG/LOG4J_PROPS inconsistencies between linux and windows

SOLR 7.4.0

In the linux solr script, LOG4J_PROPS is expected to be the path to a custom
log4j2.xml file.  LOG4J_CONFIG ends up being a collection of all
-Dlog4j.configurationFile=BLAH parameter strings.

In the windows solr.cmd script, LOG4J_PROPS is not respected at all.  And
LOG4J_CONFIG is expected to be the path to a custom log4j2.xml file.

We run SOLR as part of our product which supports both linux and windows.
It would be great if these variables could be respected consistently.

On a related note, I was excited to see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7871.  This would be a real life
saver in cross-platform situations like ours.

Re: LOG4J_CONFIG/LOG4J_PROPS inconsistencies between linux and windows

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm, I see what you mean. If you'd be kind enough to submit a patch
that'd be great, attach it to a JIRA and ping people to get it
applied.

Glancing quickly it looks like there are a number of things in
solr.in.sh that are not in solr.in.cmd, certainly a _lot_ of the Solr
devs are *nix sorts so the Windows support can lag. Having someone
with an active side-by-side installation find/fix any discrepancies
would be a great help to the Windows commjnity.

Best
Erick