Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Andy Srine <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/23 20:08:09 UTC

ODBC-hiveserver2 question

Team,

Is ADD JAR from HDFS (ADD JAR hdfs:///hive_jars/hive-contrib-2.1.1.jar;)
supported in hiveserver2 via an ODBC connection?

Some relevant points:

   - I am able to do it in Hive 2.1.1 via JDBC (beeline), but not via an
   ODBC client.
   - In Hive 1.2.1, I can add a jar from the local node, but not a JAR on
   HDFS.
   - Some old blogs online say HiveServer2 doesn't support "ADD JAR "
   period. But thats not what I experience via beeline.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: ODBC-hiveserver2 question

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Add jar works only with local files on the Hive server.

Re: HiveServer2 via a proxy

Posted by Shawn Weeks <sw...@weeksconsulting.us>.
What proxy are you using and can you share the proxy config and beeline url your trying.

Thanks
Shawn

Sent from my iPhone

HiveServer2 via a proxy

Use of functions in the WHERE clause.

Posted by Andy Srine <an...@gmail.com>.
Team,

Looks like Hive doesn't like functions in the WHERE clause. Any ideas on
how to deal with this? Also, I feel like this used to be supported in the
past. Am I missing something?

SELECT y, m, d FROM emp_table WHERE concat(y, m, d) > '20181216' limit 10;
FAILED: SemanticException InvalidObjectException(message:Operator
'concat(y, m, d) > '20181216'' expects to have a column name on a left
side, but got 'concat(y, m, d)' (Service: AWSGlue; Status Code: 400; Error
Code: InvalidInputException;

This is on Hive 2.3.4 on AWS EMR (metadata on AWS Glue). This works on AWS
Athena (Presto) by the way.

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
HDFS support depends on the version. A long time it was not supported.