Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 2000/01/16 05:04:29 UTC

OT: watch out for alexa.com robot

It is offtopic but somewhat relevant to a lot of people...

Just a FYI: alexa.com's robot is pathologically stupid.  It pounds on
servers as hard as it possibly can; over the past few days, it has been
pounding on one site I've been doing some stuff on at a rate of ~2 million
hits per day.  I don't know where they get away thinking that sort of
thing is acceptable, but be warned...

Obviously, they are no longer welcome at that site.

Coming from: various addresses in 206.132.186.0/24

Re: OT: watch out for alexa.com robot

Posted by Ian Kallen <sp...@salon.com>.
The other really silly thing about Alexa's bot is its rechecking behavior.
It just can't seem to accept somethings going away and generates repeated
404's.  I configured one my boxes that had been besieged by this to just
403 ia_archiver, haven't analyzed efficacy of this yet though.

Today, Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> frothed and gesticulated about OT:...:

--
Salon Internet 				http://www.salon.com/
  Manager, Software and Systems "Livin' La Vida Unix!"