Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Hut Carspecken <hu...@sbcglobal.net> on 2003/06/10 19:04:24 UTC

Configuring the DNS lookup

Hello Again,

I am setting up James for the first time, read all the information on the website, and have managed to set up two test users on James.

These test users are able to receive incomming messages, but are unable to send any messages.  I am pretty sure that it is config problem with DNS look up.  I have changed to config.xml file to point to an IP listed on the James doc website.

Here is the line I added:

<dnsserver>

<servers>

<server>166.181.194.205</server>

</servers>

<authoritative>false</authoritative>

</dnsserver>

Is this incorrect?  Thanks!

Hut

RE: Configuring the DNS lookup

Posted by Michael Cook <mc...@skyprod.com>.
Hut,

I just did this myself and I looked at that part of the config and thought
"Well, it's got to be authoritative, right?".

The James doc. has some words to the effect that you have to have DNS on the
James machine plus an MX record.  I took the first part to mean that you
have to have a real host name, i.e. something that the SMTP gateway at the
other end can resolve properly when it checks you out.  If this isn't
working right then it probabaly explains why you can receive but not send.

In my case, I use a dynamic host name (from dyndns.org) over a DSL link, and
this seems to take care of the MX side of things and everything works fine
both inbound and outbound.  Otherwise your "real" host name is always
changing.

Your note suggests the address you are using is not your ISP's DNS address.
I just did an nslookup on it and my own ISP's DNS can't find it.  You should
use your own ISP's DNS server addresses here (they always seem to come in
pairs).

Anyway, I added another <server>, specified both my ISP's DNS addresses, and
set <authoritative>true</authoritative>.  My outbound sessions also did not
work until I had done this.

Regards,

Michael Cook
mcook@skyprod.com <ma...@skyprod.com>

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I have changed to config.xml file to point to an IP listed
> on the James doc website.

You need to use whatever address is appropriate for *your* DNS server.  If
you download the current test build, it will try to detect your DNS server
for you.

	--- Noel