Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jochen Stein <jo...@stein-site.de> on 2004/12/02 16:23:07 UTC

offering help with documentation

Hello,

I think Lenya lacks still lacks some documentation to help
newcomers (like me) through initial setup and basic tasks.

This said, I would like to offer help creating and extending
Lenyas documentation. If you have any suggestions for topics
worth covering or information about documentation standards
and processes, please let me know.

regards

Jochen Stein

Re: offering help with documentation

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@wyona.com>.
Jochen Stein said:
> Hello,
>
> I think Lenya lacks still lacks some documentation to help
> newcomers (like me) through initial setup and basic tasks.

i was thinking the same thing last night when i looked at the xopus
documentation. too often we are being quite terse, or documentation is out
of sync with what the code says.

> This said, I would like to offer help creating and extending
> Lenyas documentation. If you have any suggestions for topics
> worth covering or information about documentation standards
> and processes, please let me know.

this is very much appreciated. a good start would be to take a look at
what from the wiki could be migrated to the offical docs. i am thinking
the new publication how and others.

we tend to draft documentation on the wiki and then move it over to
forrest (although to be honest, that move has never happened yet).

so unless you want to spearhead a wiki -> forrest migration for some
topics (which probably would involve taking a look at wiki syntax to
forrest syntax conversion, and therefore is more of a distraction) i would
suggest to install forrest 0.6, check out lenya-docs and start sending
patches for areas of the existing docs that are not verbose enough.

i think sending small patches that improve the docs incrementally are more
satisfying than embarking on large-scale documentation revamping.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: offering help with documentation

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
Jochen,

>> I think Lenya lacks still lacks some documentation to help
>> newcomers (like me) through initial setup and basic tasks.

I agree!

>> This said, I would like to offer help creating and extending
>> Lenyas documentation. If you have any suggestions for topics
>> worth covering or information about documentation standards
>> and processes, please let me know.

Did you have a look at the Lenya Wiki at wiki.apache.org/lenya/? We use this
as a scratchpad for additional (and better) documentation. There are some
introductory documents such as "Practical Steps to your first Lenya
publication" that might need some reading and completion.

We (the committers) will move documents that have matured in the Wiki to the
official documentatin on the site from time to time!

If you need any input, ask here. Otherwise: Just go ahead, but please
respect Wiki etiquette!

Regards,
Torsten