Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/05/21 13:51:50 UTC

MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Aren't MP_USE_DSO and MP_USE_STATIC options self-exclusive?

Currently mod_perl happily configures with:

perl Makefile.PL MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

I know that static is not really supported yet, but won't it be better
to have a single flag?

Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>You mean not to list the build options at all? other than the minimal ones?
>

> right.  for example, it is pointless to document MP_GENERATE_XS, its only
> useful for developers.  MP_PROMPT_DEFAULT might go away.
> TRACE/DEBUG/MAINTAINER one only needs for development or debugging.
> i'm thinking INST_APACHE2 should be on by default.  etc.
>
> instead you can say, "hey remember the nightmare number of options for
> 1.x?  well you only need 1 option to build 2.x, MP_AP_PREFIX where modperl
> can find the apache includes.  if you need more control, read install.pod".

nice :) thanks!

Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.

Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>The doc says that MP_USE_DSO is enabled by default. Do you mean if it
>>wasn't explicitly passed as MP_USE_DSO=1?
>

> with the recent change:
> if MP_USE_DSO=1 is specified, only mod_perl.so is built.
> if MP_USE_STATIC=1 is specified, only mod_perl.a is built.
>
> if neither is specified both mod_perl.so and mod_perl.a are built.

ok, will update the doc.

Re: [win32] mod_perl-2 cvs crashes?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 27 May 2002, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Mon, 27 May 2002, Randy Kobes wrote:
>
> > as a follow up, Doug suggested trying bleedperl for this
> > problem, and it worked ...
>
> still very stumped as to why i cannot reproduce with 5.6.1
> anybody else seeing this?

I'm stumped too ... Just to summarize what I tried:
- a fresh ActivePerl 631 binary install,
- ActivePerl 631 compiled from the sources, both a
non-debug and a debug version;
All 3 led to a crash upon startup, whereas bleedperl
went fine ... One set of differences I can think
of at the moment is that I'm using WinXP, and also,
perhaps, VC++ 6 SP 5.

best regards,
randy

Re: [win32] mod_perl-2 cvs crashes?

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Randy Kobes wrote:

>    I'm not sure if this is just a problem with my system, so
> wanted to see if anyone else sees this problem. With ActivePerl
> 631 (perl-5.6.1), and (today's)  mod_perl-2 cvs sources, 'nmake
> test' crashes on me upon startup.
[ .. ]

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
all tests passing here with both 5.6.1 (built from source) and bleedperl
using .37-dev from a few days ago.  the server did crash on me once
yesterday at startup with t/TEST, i ran it again no problem and none
since.

[win32] mod_perl-2 cvs crashes?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
Hi,
   I'm not sure if this is just a problem with my system, so
wanted to see if anyone else sees this problem. With ActivePerl
631 (perl-5.6.1), and (today's)  mod_perl-2 cvs sources, 'nmake
test' crashes on me upon startup. This happens both with
apache-2.0.36:
C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe -Iblib\arch/Apache2 -Iblib\lib/Apache2  t/TEST
\Apache2/bin/Apache.exe  -d C:/unzipped/MODPER~1.0/t
  -f C:/unzipped/MODPER~1.0/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS
using Apache/2.0.36 (winnt MPM)
[Tue May 21 22:18:51 2002] [info] 20 Apache:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 22:18:51 2002] [info] 5 APR:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 22:18:51 2002] [info] base server + 6 vhosts ready to run tests
[Tue May 21 22:18:53 2002] [info] 19 Apache:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 22:18:53 2002] [info] 5 APR:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 22:18:53 2002] [info] base server + 6 vhosts ready to run tests
END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=3828

waiting for server to start: giving up after 61 secs
*** cannot build c-modules without apxs
!!! server failed to start! (please examine C:t\logs\error_log)
and with apache-2.0.37-dev (of a couple days ago):
 C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe -Iblib\arch/Apache2 -Iblib\lib/Apache2  t/TEST
\Apache2/bin/Apache.exe  -d C:/unzipped/modperl-2.0/t
 -f C:/unzipped/modperl-2.0/t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DPERL_USEITHREADS
using Apache/2.0.37-dev (winnt MPM)
[Tue May 21 23:16:53 2002] [info] 20 Apache:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 23:16:53 2002] [info] 5 APR:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 23:16:53 2002] [info] base server + 6 vhosts ready to run tests
[Tue May 21 23:16:55 2002] [info] 19 Apache:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 23:16:55 2002] [info] 5 APR:: modules loaded
[Tue May 21 23:16:55 2002] [info] base server + 6 vhosts ready to run tests
[Tue May 21 23:16:55 2002] [debug]
   C:\unzipped\httpd-2.0\server\mpm\winnt\mpm_winnt.c(561):
     Parent: Marked listeners as not inheritable.
END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=2168

waiting for server to start: giving up after 61 secs
*** cannot build c-modules without apxs
!!! server failed to start! (please examine C:t\logs\error_log)
Nothing is in the error logs, and I built mod_perl as
   perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=\Apache2 MP_INST_APACHE2=1

I'm not sure this is important, but the message above
referencing
     C:\unzipped\httpd-2.0\server\mpm\winnt\mpm_winnt.c(561):
     Parent: Marked listeners as not inheritable.
refers to the location of the httpd-2.0 sources I used
on my system, whereas I built things using
     MP_AP_PREFIX=\Apache2
which is the location where things are installed. I didn't think,
doing it this way, it would care, or even know about, the source
location?

Another thing that may or may not be important - in
t/conf/httpd.conf there's a
   LoadFile "C:\Perl\bin\perl56.dll"
which uses ActiveState's perl56.dll. This "should" be binary
compatible with Visual C++ 6 (SP5) which I'm using, but ....

If I go ahead and install things anyway, then Apache-2 starts and
works OK on a simple configuration of a simple Apache::Hello
handler and a ModPerl::Registry location, making me think it's a
problem with something in using the more extensive
t/conf/httpd.conf. However, before trying to debug this, I wanted
to see if anyone else has seen such problems?

best regards,
randy

Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> The doc says that MP_USE_DSO is enabled by default. Do you mean if it
> wasn't explicitly passed as MP_USE_DSO=1?

with the recent change:
if MP_USE_DSO=1 is specified, only mod_perl.so is built.
if MP_USE_STATIC=1 is specified, only mod_perl.a is built.

if neither is specified both mod_perl.so and mod_perl.a are built.

> Does any platform can build DSO?

most can.  certain platforms still need porting for modperl, such as aix.

Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Aren't MP_USE_DSO and MP_USE_STATIC options self-exclusive?
>

> actually, no.  in fact, you've just reminded me to make them both enabled
> by default if neither is specified.

The doc says that MP_USE_DSO is enabled by default. Do you mean if it
wasn't explicitly passed as MP_USE_DSO=1?

> the idea is that one first builds
> mod_perl and ends up with a src/modules/perl/mod_perl.{so,a} and
> src/modules/perl/ldopts.  to link modperl static with httpd, we just need
> some config.m4 magic to add `ldopts` and mod_perl.a to the build.  so one
> could then build httpd like so:
>
> ln -s ~/apache/modperl-2.0/src/modules/perl $PWD/src/modules
> ./configure --with-mpm=prefork --enable-perl=static ...
>
> we not be configuring/building httpd for the user as 1.x attempted.
>
> downside is one will need to have configured httpd first, so that headers
> generated.  so it will probably be more like:
>
> ./configure --with-mpm=prefork ...
> (go build modperl)
> ./config.nice --enable-perl=static && make
>
> we could of course provide a wrapper script todo this, but don't want to
> have this stuff buried and tangled like it is in 1.x

that's cool!

Does any platform can build DSO?

I'm working on the introduction to 2.0 chapter for our book and must
freeze the modifications very soon now. So if is there anything missing
or incorrect in install.pod, any chance that you can add it? or tell me
what and I'll do that. e.g. currently there are only details on how to
build DSO mod_perl, and the above shades some light on the STATIC build
process.

Thanks!

Re: MP_USE_DSO=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.