Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marco Tedone <mt...@jemos.org> on 2003/09/28 13:51:58 UTC

Migration from 4.1.x to Tomcat 5

Hi, which are the key anspects I shall keep in mind when migrating from
Tomcat 4.1.xx to version 5, keeping in mind that I'm developing Struts
application?

Which are the key technology anspects I shall review in my project
architecture, particularly related to:

1) Servlets/JSP
2) Taglibs
3) Tomcat starting and stopping
4) WAR deployment
5) Security

At present I deploy a WAR under webapps with taglibs defined in the web.xml
file and make use of my personal security model (is there any reason Tomcat
5 should make things easier?), I stop and start it as a service (still
available?).

Will be JSTL and JSF natively implemented? Could I just drop my application
from Tomcat 4.1.xx to Tomcat 5 without problems?

Thanks for any reply,

Marco

Re: Migration from 4.1.x to Tomcat 5

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Marco Tedone" <mt...@jemos.org> wrote in message
> Hi, which are the key anspects I shall keep in mind when migrating from
> Tomcat 4.1.xx to version 5, keeping in mind that I'm developing Struts
> application?
>
> Which are the key technology anspects I shall review in my project
> architecture, particularly related to:
>
> 1) Servlets/JSP

Tomcat 5 is backwards compatible, but JSP-2.0 is so cool, that you should
consider migrating your apps to it.

> 2) Taglibs

See answer to 1).

> 3) Tomcat starting and stopping
> 4) WAR deployment

This has been improved in Tomcat 5, especially when using the Manager
web-app.

> 5) Security

Tomcat 5 allows for a much more restrictive sandbox than Tomcat 4.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Marco Tedone" <mt...@jemos.org> wrote in message
> Hi, which are the key anspects I shall keep in mind when migrating from
> Tomcat 4.1.xx to version 5, keeping in mind that I'm developing Struts
> application?
>
> Which are the key technology anspects I shall review in my project
> architecture, particularly related to:
>
> 1) Servlets/JSP

Tomcat 5 is backwards compatible, but JSP-2.0 is so cool, that you should
consider migrating your apps to it.

> 2) Taglibs

See answer to 1).