Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by "Herta, Christian" <Ch...@htw-berlin.de> on 2012/02/07 11:15:15 UTC

Multi Layer Perceptron for Mahout

Is there anybody else working on a Multilayer Perceptron (Neural Network) for
Mahout? If not, I'm going to implement it.There is a gradient machine for
classification. But I think the gradient machine is to restricted. Also, the
implementation is stochastic gradient descent only. Therefore it's not possible
to distribute the learning.

What's the procedure to start? Do I have to create a jira issue with a
description and a road map?

Re: Multi Layer Perceptron for Mahout

Posted by "Herta, Christian" <Ch...@htw-berlin.de>.
Hello Atul,

thanks for your interest. Yes, I created a jira issue(MAHOUT-976
[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-976] ) and started with the
implementation. I will upload a patch in the next days. Then you can get an
impression what's going on. I am interested in your feedback.

The most complicated part is not to be confused by the indices and the notation.
If it's necessary I will write the math in latex document in "the same" notation
I used in the code.

Cheers
 Christian

Atul Kulkarni <at...@gmail.com> hat am 9. Februar 2012 um 19:25
geschrieben:

Posted by Atul Kulkarni <at...@gmail.com>.
Have you created a JIRA for this? I would like to help.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The JIRA will be the best place to talk about your strategy for
> implementation.  Parallelization of NN training isn't a trivial problem.
>  We should learn from recent experience of others.
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Paritosh Ranjan <pr...@xebia.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll suggest to create a jira, mark it for 0.7 and submit the patch.
> > That's how I did it, and it worked.
> >

> > Herta, Christian wrote:
> >
> >> Is there anybody else working on a Multilayer Perceptron (Neural
> Network)
> >> for
> >> Mahout? If not, I'm going to implement it.There is a gradient machine
> for
> >> classification. But I think the gradient machine is to restricted. Also,
> >> the
> >> implementation is stochastic gradient descent only. Therefore it's not
> >> possible
> >> to distribute the learning.
> >>
> >>  What's the procedure to start? Do I have to create a jira issue with a
> >> description and a road map?

Atul Kulkarni

Re: Multi Layer Perceptron for Mahout

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.