Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net> on 2003/11/05 20:30:25 UTC

[users@httpd] memory usage for 2 or more instances of apache

Greetings,

I want to run 2 instances of apache built with shared core but with different modules loaded for each instance ... It is correct to assume that the memory used of the core will be shared between the 2 instances? rephrasing: once the core is loaded by one instance of apache, the other instance will use the already loaded core when it starts up? or this second instance will allocate extra memory to load the core again?

thanks :)

Re: [users@httpd] memory usage for 2 or more instances of apache

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:

> > But I don't think you should really care.  The amount of memory you are
> > talking about is tiny compared to the total memory usage.
>
> yes. but in the case of many instances running, this could affect greatly
> affect the memory usage...

It will be a significant effect only if each instance has very low traffic
(and therefore not many processes hanging around).  For a typical busy
site with dozens or hundreds of active children, the difference would
probably be undetectable.

Anyway, you can find the answer pretty easily simply by trying it out and
using a tool like "top" to check for resident versus shared memory usage.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] memory usage for 2 or more instances of apache

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.
and sorry for bugging again.... but how do I see the how much memory is
shared  amaong apache processes?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.