Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Beth Kirschner <bk...@umich.edu> on 2003/04/04 22:29:24 UTC

Problems with Permissions and Groups

I'm using Jetspeed version 1.4b3 and am having trouble getting the Permissions and Group to work as
I would expect. I wonder if the functionality is broke, or am I just going about it in the wrong way?

1) I would like certain users to _not_ be able to customize their portlets (e.g. remove the
customize icon on portlets). I've tried unchecking the customize permission using the Security Role
Browser, but it appeared to have no affect. I've tried modifying the following property in
JetspeedSecurity.propeties, but that had no affect either:
    services.JetspeedSecurity.permission.default.loggedin=minimize,maximize,close

2) I would like certain users to only be able to add/remove certain portlets. I created a new
GROUPX, and using the User Browser, I am only allowing that user access to GROUPX. Then I defined
several new portlets in the local-portlets.xreg file with the following
         <category group="GROUPX">whatever</category>
But this appears to have no affect on restricting the list of portlets a user can see. It does seem
to affect the categories though, because when I select filter by category "whatever", I no portlets
are displayed. If I change the above line to this, then the filter by categery works again:
         <category group="Jetspeed">whatever</category>

Any suggestions? I've searched the mail archive to no avail.

Thanks!
- Beth