Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com> on 2008/04/28 09:51:13 UTC

TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Hi

I have few Questions which i was not able to get TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO
and form.

a) Clustering

    1) Do we need to deploy the war files  on each individual Tomcat
    when joined the clustering.
      >> "deploy your apps only to one server, and the cluster will
    distribute  the deployments across the entire cluster".

        This does not seems to work, after following the steps for 2
    Tomcats (or am i missing some thing in here.)

    2) Is this a must do configuration

         >>" Make sure that all nodes have the same time and sync with
    NTP service! "

       for the clusters to start functioning.

b) Load balancing

         1) Using  "Using the balancer webapp" , redirects to different
URL's is done,
          Can we use the same to redirect to  the clustered TOMCATs to
do the load
            balancing  internally based on

      RoundRobinRule,
      RandomRedirectRule

 Any URL or blog (other then "cluster-howto.html")
 which explains the clustering /load balancing in simple steps would be
of wery much help to us.

Prerequisite : TOMCAT 5.5.23 (already in production ,we cannot change
this version) 2 nos
JSDK          : 1.6
O/s            : UNIX 11

with regards
Karthik

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
karthikn wrote:
> Hi
>
> Somebody Please Help me with this form

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Tomcat_User#Q2

Mark

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

 >> Apache contains the "logic" to handle the load balancing between the
two tomcats:

As per the Documents "tomcat-docs/cluster-howto.html"*

*I have only tried to achieve Clustering of 2 TOMCAT's on a single
MACHINE, JVM

My Primary Objective was to check if the  "war"  deployed / undeployed
on 1st TOMCAT  would automatically be deployed / undeployed on the 2nd
TOMCAT*

*I would only use Apache Http server to handle the Load balancing once
the succeeded in Clustering

but this problem as stated below exists

**

Delpoyment of a war file on TOMCAT5523_I  displays in console as

 >>  INFO: Starting clustering manager at /DATAGRID
Apr 29, 2008 10:17:59 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager getAll
ClusterSessions
WARNING: Manager [/DATAGRID], requesting session state from
org.apache.catalina.
cluster.mcast.McastMember[tcp://10.10.16.63:4002,catalina,10.10.16.63,4002,
aliv
e=17593]. This operation will timeout if no session state has been
received with
in 60 seconds.
Apr 29, 2008 10:18:59 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager waitFo
rSendAllSessions
SEVERE: Manager [/DATAGRID]: No session state send at 4/29/08 10:17 AM
received,
 timing out after 60,109 ms.

TOMCAT5523_II displays on console as

 >>INFO: Replication member
added:org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember[tcp
://10.10.16.63:4001,catalina,10.10.16.63,4001, alive=16]
Apr 29, 2008 10:17:59 AM
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListe
ner messageReceived
SEVERE: Context manager doesn't exist:/DATAGRID

*
*Any suggestions

with regards
KaRTHIK*
*

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
> | Do i need to set up Load balancer to test the clustering ONLY ?
>
> I'm not sure how you would even use your cluster, much less test it,
> without a load balancer.

Absolutely.

And the most confidence-inspiring (and pointy-haired-boss-impressing)
test is to access your cluster through a load balancer with only one TC
running, set some session variable, bring up the second TC and stop
the first, and then see that your session variable is still set on the next
request.

Besides, the amount of time spent repeating the OPs question has been
more than what's required to set up an Apache httpd as a balancer ... :-)

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 8:03 AM, karthikn
<ka...@xius-bcgi.com> wrote:

> Some body on the Form told me , Set up the cluster before applying load
> balancing and Test the cluster's setup  as  following
>
>>>"deploy/undeploy your apps only to one server, and the cluster will
>>> distribute the      deployments/undeploy across the entire cluster".
>    with <distributable/> in web.xml

> Is this correct or  not ?

That the deployments will be distributed, or that that's the way to test?

I don't know about the first, and from an operations perspective, I don't
think I'd /want/ that to happen. And it's been a while since I worked with
clusters, but I don't recall that being the case. Could be wrong, though.

Session replication was the whole point of clustering for installations
I've been involved in.

FWIW,

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Sorry for the delay and Thx for reply

>> Tomcat does not have "startup" ports.

Yes I have  set  the 2 Independent TOMCAT's at 8080 and 8081

<!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->

 >> Before you worry about "clustering", can you even get a single
request handled by Tomcat?

I would be testing for "ROOT" web application in TOMCAT as

http://<IP>:<port>/

I perfectly get the TC's Home page

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Sorry for the delay and Thx for reply

ALL i was saying is i have 2 independent TOMCATS  running on a
windows2000 machine

c:\TOMCAT1
startup 8080 shutdown = 8090

d:\TOMCAT2
startup 8081 shutdown = 8091

JDK is as below
d:/java/jdk163

I have already done the changes to server.xml for both the tomcats

as per " "http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html"

So how to  do  "Clustering" and test the same.

I am not checking the performance using Load balancer,

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO
>
> Can you explain how to start two Tomcat instances in a single JVM?

I suspect the OP means one JVM installation as opposed to one JVM
instance.  (He seems a bit, shall we say, terminology challenged.)

> Clustering does not work without a load balancer. Period.

Not strictly true.  Clustered Tomcats don't care if the requests are
coming through a load balancer or someone manually changing port or IP
addresses on each request.  Certainly for any practical usage, a front
end of some sort is required to automatically route requests, but it
doesn't have to actually do any load balancing.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Karthik,

karthikn wrote:
| Yes I have 2 TOMCAT individual  running on same Windows2000
| Machine sharing the same JVM with Startup / Shutdown Ports,but not
| embedded.

Can you explain how to start two Tomcat instances in a single JVM?

| Would this setup be not configurable to be cluster ...?

Er, if they have the same "startup port" (by which I assume you mean
"connector port"), then I think what you are doing is impossible.

1 Tomcat = 1 or more connectors

You can't do this the other way around. That is, you can't have one
connector (one port) serving two separate Tomcat instances.

|  >>You need some type of load balancer out in front of the two instances
| to make the cluster useful.
|
| To test  clustering setup , do i need a Load balancer ...?

Clustering does not work without a load balancer. Period. It's not about
testing. It's about working in the first place. Yes, you can start up
two Tomcat instances as a cluster, but they won't act as a cluster
unless you load balance them.

| I have the cluster setup as said in the
| "http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html"
|
| Delpoyment of a war file on TOMCAT5523_I  displays in console as
|
| INFO: Starting clustering manager at /DATAGRID
| Apr 29, 2008 10:17:59 AM
| org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager getAll
| ClusterSessions
| WARNING: Manager [/DATAGRID], requesting session state from
| org.apache.catalina.

cluster.mcast.McastMember[tcp://10.10.16.63:4002,catalina,10.10.16.63,4002,
| aliv e=17593]. This operation will timeout if no session state has been
| received with
| in 60 seconds.
| Apr 29, 2008 10:18:59 AM
| org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager waitFo
| rSendAllSessions
| SEVERE: Manager [/DATAGRID]: No session state send at 4/29/08 10:17 AM
| received,
|  timing out after 60,109 ms.
|

| TOMCAT5523_II displays on console as
|
|  >>INFO: Replication member
| added:org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastMember[tcp
| ://10.10.16.63:4001,catalina,10.10.16.63,4001, alive=16]
| Apr 29, 2008 10:17:59 AM
| org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListe
| ner messageReceived
| SEVERE: Context manager doesn't exist:/DATAGRID

Okay, and then what?

Have you tried to make a request to your clustered web application? If
so, what was the result? If not, why not?

- -chris

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

Sorry for delay and Thx for the reply

 >>I'm certainly confused as to why you would run two Tomcats on the same
JVM. First of all, how did you do that? Are you using Tomcat embedded or
something?

Yes I have 2 TOMCAT individual  running on same Windows2000
Machine sharing the same JVM with Startup / Shutdown Ports,but not embedded.

Would this setup be not configurable to be cluster ...?

 >>You need some type of load balancer out in front of the two instances
to make the cluster useful.

To test  clustering setup , do i need a Load balancer ...?

 >> You continually say "it is not working" but you never describe what
is happening.

I have the cluster setup as said in the "http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html"

And since some body on this form replied

>> "deploy/undeploy your apps only to one server, and the cluster will
      distribute  the deployments/undeploy across the entire cluster".
      with  <distributable/> in web.xml

The O/p of these 2 tomcats is as given below

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO

Posted by karthikn <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

As per TOMCAT CLUSTERING HOWTO documents

I am trying clustering on 2 TOMCAT 5.5.23  on WINDOWS OS sharing the same JVM 1.6

with the parameters as below

                                TC1      TC2
Startup                      8081    8082
ShutDown                  8007    8008
APJ                           8009    8010
TCP Listener              4001     4002
tcpListenAddress         auto    auto
jvmRoute                 node01  node02

Will this work ?

Somebody on the form said

>> "deploy/undeploy your apps only to one server, and the cluster will
      distribute  the deployments/undeploy across the entire cluster".
      with  <distributable/> in web.xml

This i was not working, How would one know the cluster is successfully.

Prerequisite : TOMCAT 5.5.23 (already in production ,we cannot change this version) 2 nos
JSDK           : 1.6
O/s             : windows 2000

With regards
Karthik