Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com> on 2010/04/29 13:12:53 UTC

Cassandra on Windows network latency

Hi all,

We have installed Cassandra on Windows and found that with any number of Cassandra (single, or 3 node cluster) on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, 32 or 64 bit, with any load or number of requests we, have:

When client and server are on the same machine, connect/read/write latencies ~0-1ms
When client on another machine, same network, on the same switch, connection latency 0-1ms (as a ping), read/write latencies >=200ms.

What causes 200ms latency accessing Cassandra on Windows through network? Does anybody experience such behavior?

Cassandra 0.6.1
Java SE 6 u20

Best regards,
Viktor

Re: Primary and Backup clusters

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
I suppose you could use rsync (sstable files are immutable, so you
don't need to worry about not getting a "consistent" version of the
data files), but compared to letting Cassandra handle the replication
the way it's designed to,

# you'll generate a lot of disk i/o doing that vs
# your backup cluster will miss a relatively large amount of the most
recent updates
# your failover process will be more error-prone

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Primary and Backup clusters

RE: Cassandra on Windows network latency

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <Vi...@adform.com>.
Yes, we have already figured that out :)

Thanks!

Posted by Carlos Alvarez <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Heath Oderman <he...@526valley.com>.