Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by El...@lionbridge.com on 2001/11/05 13:59:28 UTC

send an SOAP error

hi all,
i'm making a WebService. As i have in house learned java, i'd like to know
:

the client part of the webservice calls a method (the which one i declared
in my DeploymentDescriptor) and pass some parameters. Then i'd like to
make a test in this method and send back a SOAP error in some cases. What
kind of code should i use to send a SOAP error to the client ?

regards,
Elise
Lionbridge Technologies - France
www.lionbridge.com

Re: send an SOAP error

Posted by Nicholas Quaine <nq...@soapuser.com>.
Elise,

You should be able to throw a SOAPException from within your method

//here's how to throw a SOAPException on the server side
throw new SOAPException ( "My Fault Code", "My Message" );

When you throw the exception, the server sends a SOAP response to the client indicating an error occured on the server side and the fault code and message are contained within that response and can be extracted on the client side as shown below (I assume you are using Apache SOAP for Java on the client side)...

//here's how to setup and invoke a call on the client side, checking for soap exceptions
Call call = new Call();
call.setSOAPMappingRegistry(mySmr);
call.setTargetObjectURI(myServiceName);
call.setMethodName(myMethodName);
call.setEncodingStyleURI(Constants.NS_URI_SOAP_ENC);
call.setParams(myParams);
Response resp = call.invoke(new URL(myServletURLName), "");
    if (resp.generatedFault())
    {
        String faultCode = resp.getFault().getFaultCode();
        String faultMsg = resp.getFault().getFaultString();
        //do something with these...
    }

hope that helps

regards,