Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephen Clarke <an...@longusername.worldonline.co.uk> on 2002/02/11 18:19:05 UTC

Enabling directory browsing throughout server?

Hi,
Could someone please tell me how to enable directory browsing in Apache on
Windows 2000. I know this is a dumb question and I shouldn't be asking it,
but I've read the FAQ, I've tried many options and I'm just going to ask it
anyway.

Perhaps some kind person could just explain it to me.

Here's what I've tried already.

1. I've searched for <files ~> and it's not there. Instead, I found
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>
so i changed Deny from all, to Allow from all. No good. Still says forbidden
on this server.

2. I've gone into window and enabled web sharing and directory sharing for
all comers. No good.

3. I have found that i can enable it for a particular directory using, eg.
    Alias /projects/ "C:/projects/zopelike/"

<Directory "C:/1/f2s/webmonke/archive">
</Directory>

but i want to enable it for the whole server.

4. I've tried putting
<Directory />
</Directory>
as the default setting.

5. My document root is defined as follows.
<Directory "C:/1/f2s/webmonke">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
    AllowOverride None

#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

6. I've tried changing that to AllowOverride All.

My version of Apache is 1.3.14.

Thanks.
--
Best,
Stephen Clarke

Re: Enabling directory browsing throughout server?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Stephen Clarke wrote:
> Thanks. I've finally got it. It's been a long time coming, let me tell ya.
> BTW I assume you meant to say Options +Indexes, right? That's the one that
> works, anyway. That threw for a while, but then I experimented. So I now
> have directory browsing all over the entire site. Thanks. That helped a lot.

Woops.  Yep, everywhere I said "Includes" I meant "Indexes".  Sorry 'bout
that.

Joshua.

Re: Enabling directory browsing throughout server?

Posted by Stephen Clarke <an...@longusername.worldonline.co.uk>.
> I think that this (very new) FAQ could help you:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#options
>
> In general, if you want directory browsing everywhere, then you need to
make
> sure that "Includes" is included in the root directory Options line, and
in
> every other options line in the config file.
>
> A possible alternative is to add
>
> <Location />
> Options +Includes
> </Location>

Hi Joshua,
Thanks. I've finally got it. It's been a long time coming, let me tell ya.
BTW I assume you meant to say Options +Indexes, right? That's the one that
works, anyway. That threw for a while, but then I experimented. So I now
have directory browsing all over the entire site. Thanks. That helped a lot.
{:D

And thanks for the tip on upgrading. Should do that soon. hehe.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Stephen Clarke [mailto:any@longusername.worldonline.co.uk]

I think that this (very new) FAQ could help you:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#options

In general, if you want directory browsing everywhere, then you need to make
sure that "Includes" is included in the root directory Options line, and in
every other options line in the config file.

A possible alternative is to add

<Location />
Options +Includes
</Location>

Since <Location> is evaluated after <Directory>, it should override any
other Options set in <Directory> sections.

Also, you should check the error log to see if it is the "Options" setting
that is the problem, or if something else is wrong.

> 1. I've searched for <files ~> and it's not there. Instead, I found
> <Files ~ "^\.ht">
>     Order allow,deny
>     Deny from all
> </Files>
> so i changed Deny from all, to Allow from all. No good. Still
> says forbidden
> on this server.

Oooo.  Don't do that.  Protection for .htacess files has nothing to do with
directory browsing.

> 2. I've gone into window and enabled web sharing and directory sharing for
> all comers. No good.

That also doesn't sound like a good idea.

> 6. I've tried changing that to AllowOverride All.

That isn't necessary unless you are using .htaccess files for your
configuration.

> My version of Apache is 1.3.14.

An upgrade would be a great idea.  The win32 version has improved a great
deal since then.

Joshua.