Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/05 05:35:36 UTC

Testing the Tomahawk components

If you could pick a Tomahawk component to test in multiple browsers,
on multiple servlet containers, with various versions of JSF
implementations, which one would it be?

I need
 * a url to a page in one of the example apps that uses it
 * a description of the behavior you want to test

I've been playing with Selenium [1] for functional testing, and have
added a couple of simple tests for one of the Shale example apps [2].
I think this could be really valuable for testing the the in-browser
behavior of the JSF components.

Even better, Patrick Lightbody has offered up an account at HostedQA
[3] to automate the tests.  We could conceivably test the components
on every combination of supported browser, servlet container,
operating system and JSF implementation.  But I'll settle for one or
two at first. :)

Before I go too much further, is anyone already doing this?  (And if
not... is anyone interested in helping with this effort?)

[1] http://www.openqa.org/selenium/
[2] http://shale.apache.org/shale-apps/selenium.html
[3] http://www.autoriginate.com/hostedqa.jsp

Wendy

Re: Testing the Tomahawk components

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> I've been playing with Selenium [1] for functional testing ...

... and have added a couple of tests for myfaces-example-simple.  For
the simple form that adds and subtracts numbers, only the submit
buttons work, the links do not.  You can see a screen shot of the
results here:

   http://people.apache.org/~wsmoak/myfaces/selenium/myfaces-simple-failure.jpg

TOMAHAWK-583 is open for comments and contributions of more tests.

When the site is re-published, there should be a page with information
at [3].  Meanwhile, it's not too hard to read the APT source, here:
 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/tomahawk/trunk/core/src/site/apt/testing/selenium.apt

I added Cargo plugin configuration to start Tomcat 5 and deploy the
example app.  It looks like there's also configuration for Jetty but I
didn't immediately see how to get it to work.

~/svn/myfaces/current/tomahawk/examples/simple
$ mvn package cargo:start -P selenium -Dcargo.tomcat5x.home=/path/to/tomcat5

Then visit http://localhost:8080/myfaces-example-simple/selenium/core/TestRunner.html

[1] http://www.openqa.org/selenium/
[2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-583
[3] http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/testing/selenium.html (not yet published)