Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2009/02/17 22:52:28 UTC

ZooKeeper Roadmap - 3.2.0 and beyond.

Apache release 3.1.0 has shipped and I'm already looking forward to
3.2.0.  ;-)

In particular I believe we should look at the following going forward.
Of course ZooKeeper is open to submissions in that aren't on this list.
If you have any suggestions please feel free to enter a JIRA, submit a
patch, or comment on this thread.
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/HowToContribute

3.2 (May release)
   implement some basic recipes as client libs
     consistent c/java implementations
   "chroot" support in session connect string
      unified scheme for connect string? uri?
   expand system tests
     move some unit tests into system test framework (esp large quorum
tests)
     add performance/benchmark tests
	integrate into hudson? (historical graphs)
     why are some ensemble sizes (like 7) less performant?
        monitor/track history
   optimize session tracking
     no expiration of session if client has no ephemerals
     huge scalability win if we can do this (for a very common use case)
   cleanup the c binding
     logging and general code cleanliness
   review jmx object naming scheme
      error handling, general cruft
   move examples out of docs into contrib/examples (like hadoop core)
     add more examples
   build changes
     jdiff
     split jars? common, server, client, test
     ivy? push jars to maven repo?

3.3 (August release)
   horizontally partitioned zk
   support multiple client protocols/marshalling
     (hadoop rpc?)
   quota support for limiting (rather than just reporting)

4.0 "API/data breakage release" (November)
   API changes
     move all "counter" fields from int -> long (version numbers for
example)
       requires migration of snapshots (ie persistence/marshalling will
change)
     pass enums to callbacks
     remove deprecated cruft
   bookeeper more tightly integrated into zk?

Regards,

Patrick