Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2005/10/31 18:30:32 UTC

[vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place them
in geronimo/archive/tags.

[ ] +1 archive the old tags
[ ] 0 Don't care
[ ] -1 keep the tags where they are

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 31, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place
> them in geronimo/archive/tags.
>

> [ ] +1 archive the old tags
> [ ] 0 Don't care
> [X] -1 keep the tags where they are

I'm of mixed feelings here, resolving to keeping them where they are.

First, I believe that we need to keep our history in place and
intact.  I know that deleted SVN resources can be recovered by going
back to the rev number, but that's not the same.

On the other hand.... and this is a new motivation for considering
change...  one of the "defects" of SVN compared to CVS is that tags
and branches are utterly artificial and are "peers" to the trunk
content, resulting in a massive first time checkout if you go far
enough up the tree.  it also results in very long update tree walks.

(This problem first became obvious to me in Jakarta Commons, when I
used to do stuff there, because every project was in root :

jakarta-commons/
          jexl
          clogging
          beanutils

and every project had it's own trunk/ and branch/  directories.  So

$ cd jakarta-commons/
$ svn update

was *painful*, but needed, because you had interdependencies in the
tree.    This was never a problem in CVS of course, because TAGS and
BRANCHES were "hidden underneath" the trunk, if you will..

So maybe we need "parallel trees".  This doesn't solve Alan's issue
of perceived maintenance or something, but would get us out of the
increasingly painful situation where svn update from /geronimo/ will
get longer and longer.  This is only going to get worse, especially
as subprojects are created.

So maybe :

geronimo/
      trunk/
      site/
      devtools/

geronimo-bt/ (for "branches and tags"... please fix name...)
       /trunk/
            branches/
            tags/
       site/
            branches/
            tags/
       devtools/
            branches/
            tags/

I understand the naming is suboptimal, but it illustrates the idea.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1 archive the old tags

-dain

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/31/05, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place them
> in geronimo/archive/tags.
[X] -1 keep the tags where they are

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by John Sisson <js...@apache.org>.
> [ ] +1 archive the old tags
> [ ] 0 Don't care
> [X] -1 keep the tags where they are

John

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
I'm coming in kind of late on this one (been fighting with continuum
all day)... but it seems like the conversation somehow got polarized
between remove vs. keep and the proposal is simply to move them (as
far as I can tell).

So, here is my thoughts ...

We have to move old binaries off the mirrors and over to
cvs.apache.org at some point (i think that's where they go anyway).
I'm cool with moving the corresponding tag to an archive place in svn
at the same time.  There is a certain kind of symmetry in that which
is attractive.

So +1 to archiving the tag when we yank binaries off the mirrors.  (I
understand that's kind of a modified version of the proposal, so if
you like the addition, throw a +1 on it for clarity)

I'm not a fan of deleting tags from the repo entirely as svn has this
cool "cheap copy" concept and I don't see any reason not to take
advantage.

-David

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote, On 10/31/2005 1:20 PM:

>Kevan Miller wrote:
>

>>I'm a non-voting member, but that's my 2 cents. I don't think that
>>existence of a tag implies some special level of support.
>>

>Or 'this is the exact state of things at this exact point.'
>What's wrong with leaving the tags as they are?

It's messy and there is no good reason to keep them.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
A tag is there for future reference.  There is no good reason to to
refer back to them in the future as they are viritually random snapshots
of whatever happened to be lying around at the time.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Kevan Miller wrote, On 10/31/2005 12:21 PM:

> I'm a non-voting member, but that's my 2 cents. I don't think that
> existence of a tag implies some special level of support. Without some
> strong motivation, I see no reason to start altering the source code
> history...

If they have no level of support then why keep them around?  They are
litterally snapshots of what ever happened to be in the oven at the time.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On 10/31/05, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place them
> in geronimo/archive/tags.
>

> [ ] +1 archive the old tags
> [ ] 0 Don't care
> [X] -1 keep the tags where they are

I'm a non-voting member, but that's my 2 cents. I don't think that existence
of a tag implies some special level of support. Without some strong
motivation, I see no reason to start altering the source code history...
--kevan

Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On Oct 31, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place
> them in geronimo/archive/tags.
>

> [ ] +1 archive the old tags
> [X ] 0 Don't care

Regards,
Hiram

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 31, 2005, at 9:30 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place
> them in geronimo/archive/tags.
>

> [ ] +1 archive the old tags
> [ ] 0 Don't care
> [ X] -1 keep the tags where they are

I still can't imagine how this could possibly be a step forward.  It
seems to me like introducing useless complexity for no reason I can
discern.

david jencks