Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Al...@yieldbroker.com> on 2011/12/06 11:12:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Q) apache + W2008R2 + NLB

Hi

I am in the situation where I am looking at replacing a rhel LVS + apache load balanced reverse proxy with Windows, I have started to look at IIS7.  But I am thinking I would rather use apache.

Has anyone on the list used apache on W 2008 R2 and have the used it with the Microsoft NLB. Does it work ?

Thanks
Alex

RE: [users@httpd] Q) apache + W2008R2 + NLB

Posted by Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Al...@yieldbroker.com>.
Hi

Great, currently the set I have is   IPVS (rhel) -> apache 2.2 mpm using mod_proxy_ajp -> jboss cluster

I guess I should have specified mod_proxy_ajp and not tomcat connector - they are sort of the same in my mind :)

(can't believe I am saying this), but its actually cheaper to run 2 IIS server over a 3 year period (especially with Centos not being able to do a 6.1 release !) , so we are looking at windows and thus started with IIS.

But what I am seeing is that I can take my IIS config and move it across to W2K8 with apache and have it work there... I do love using config files over point and click..

As for http or ajp connectors, I believe (and I could be wrong), that the ajp is faster ? than straight http ...

Thanks
Alex

Posted by congo thomas <ap...@thva.dk>.

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.

Posted by Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Al...@yieldbroker.com>.
Hi

Thanks, I suppose the finally questions for this are

1) any idea if there is a tomcat (AJP) connector that would work or  are all the standard modules compiled
2) what worker model is it mpm or single thread ?

Alex

Apache works fine with Microsoft NLB.  You can set the Listen directive to the NLB IP address and you should have no problem binding to that interface.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mpm_common.html#listen

Good luck.

Jim

James Rapp
Senior Ecosystem Quality Manager, Global Ecosystem and Delivery Partners,   AGS Primary Support

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.

Lounge<http://www.apachelounge.com/download/> (or
64-bit <http://www.apachelounge.com/download/win64/>) instead of from
apache.org.
Installing it in a path with no spaces on the C: drive (I use C:\Webserv)
will make sure you do not run into trouble later because of those issues.
I have never had the need for NLB, but there should be no reason it would
not work (Source<http://people.apache.org/~sctemme/ApconUS2007/scalingout.pdf>
).

- Y