Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2016/01/22 21:27:02 UTC

Spark dependency issues (BIGTOP-2154)

Hey all.

I hate to pollute the list with this extra traffic, but there's a quite ugly
issue that we are facing because of the infamous Hive-Spark collusion. I am
talking about https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2154

I have proposed a patch to work around it and let the 1.1 out of the door. I
have also open BIGTOP-2268 so we don't forget to fix it properly in the next
release.

I'd appreciate someone else taking a look and sharing the feedback, so we can
finally unblock the RC1.

Thanks,
  Cos

Re: Spark dependency issues (BIGTOP-2154)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 08:03PM, Evans Ye wrote:
> Oh, yes. I confused myself,... Should be /usr/lib...sorry!
>
> For that hive thing, I mean, if we can't have a proper working spark env
> w/o datanucleus, we can only accept it and put them together even though I
> don't use hive. This should be a spark issue we can't fix it at our side.
>
> Merge spark-datanucleus into spark-core seems reasonable given the current
> context, but maybe in the future spark will have a better decoupled code?
> It's much more comfortable to me to apply a workaround and expect they can
> be decoupled in the future.

The workaround is in for now. But I won't hold my breath to see a better
system organization from Spark or, for that matter, any other project in the
space. Some of them are using shader to slam together tons of the libs and
deliver it as a binary artifact ;) Historically, Bigtop did this neat and
somewhat clean grooming for Hadoop. Given there's a room for improvement, it
is perhaps quite well organized. Hopefully, it might be done for other
components in the stack, if there's a volunteer for it, of course

Cos

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.