Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Tod Thomas <tt...@chubb.com> on 2003/11/06 21:42:49 UTC

Newbie Design Question

I have followed the Jetspeed tutorial, wrote my first portlet, and have a basic
understanding of how things are working.  Now I want to expand on that knowledge
and start making some pretty big changes.

For example, do I have to write a new controller to change the layout to
something other than the ones that come with Jetspeed, or is it as easy as
modifying a velocity template somewhere?  What if I'd like to replace the top
navigation with a navigation portlet, can I do that easily or do I have to write
something new to do it?  I know how to turn off the left navigation but what if
instead I'd like it on the right side?  I'd really like to work with what
Jetspeed provides but at the same time I'm not sure of all it can provide and
don't want to reinvent the wheel.

As a proof of concept, I'd like to start with changing the layout to mirror our
corporate intranet.  I thought it would be as easy as changing a few velocity
templates but it seems there is quite an interplay between turbine, velocity,
and a number of other Jakarta components making understanding things a little
more challenging.  I'd also like to provide LDAP authentication

Can someone point me to hints on how I could go about customizing Jetspeed's
presentation without ending up writing my own portal?

Thanks - Tod