Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Matthew Bull <M....@kent.ac.uk> on 2007/01/30 13:40:33 UTC

Deleting pages and user setup

Hi,
I'm a complete beginner with Jetspeed2, and I've been evaluating it recently to see what it's capable of 'out the box'
I assumed that the jetspeed installer is a good place to start, and that the latest source may not give a production-level installation(?)
Anyway, just got a couple of very basic usability questions about the default setup, which I hope someone can help me with:

1) Scenario: I'm a new user who's just registered on the system. I log in and am taken to my "User Home" page. I want to add a new page, so I click the edit button on the far right hand side, and type the name of a new page. I now decide I've made a mistake, and I want to get rid of this page, but I just can't work out a way of doing this.
I realise that by logging in as admin I can control a user's pages, but how does the user have any control?

2) Just a minor thing, but when I click the edit button, navigate to a different page and then come back again, the edit button (not the view button) has reappeared even though I'm in edit mode. So when I click it again it puts me back into edit mode ie nothing appears to happen. I'm probably missing something here, but it just seems confusing from a user's point of view.

I guess these things are configurable either by tweaking the basic user setup and layouts/decorations, or perhaps by modifying the source code. I've worked out how to change the basic look-and-feel with Velocity, but it's just that I'm having difficulty getting past these kinds of basic things which seem to have more to do with functionality than with layout issues.
If anyone can help me out or point me to some documentation I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks
Matthew

Re: Deleting pages and user setup

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:40 AM, Matthew Bull wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a complete beginner with Jetspeed2, and I've been evaluating it
> recently to see what it's capable of 'out the box'
> I assumed that the jetspeed installer is a good place to start, and
> that the latest source may not give a production-level installation(?)
> Anyway, just got a couple of very basic usability questions about
> the default setup, which I hope someone can help me with:
>
> 1) Scenario: I'm a new user who's just registered on the system. I
> log in and am taken to my "User Home" page. I want to add a new
> page, so I click the edit button on the far right hand side, and
> type the name of a new page. I now decide I've made a mistake, and
> I want to get rid of this page, but I just can't work out a way of
> doing this.
> I realise that by logging in as admin I can control a user's pages,
> but how does the user have any control?

The latest 2.1 customizer has this ability
There is a pre-release available here

	http://www.bluesunrise.com/maven/org.apache.portals.jetspeed-2/dist/

> 2) Just a minor thing, but when I click the edit button, navigate
> to a different page and then come back again, the edit button (not
> the view button) has reappeared even though I'm in edit mode. So
> when I click it again it puts me back into edit mode ie nothing
> appears to happen. I'm probably missing something here, but it just
> seems confusing from a user's point of view.

Seems like a bug. I think that is fixed in the latest version