Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Geeks Girls <ge...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/04 19:35:58 UTC

Data not populating in metron alerts ui

Hi,

I am planning to use Metron as a SIEM and exploring it's features. Thanks
for the great documentation. It helped a lot to set it up quickly.
Initially configured snort ,bro,yaf logs to flow into Metron . For snort,
could see threat triage rules configured in the Metron enrichment config.
But for bro logs, is_alert field is blank .I verified the data in the
Kibana. Though the is_alert is blank ,those logs also appearing in metron
alerts ui.How this could be possible.
Also i pushed json data to the new datasource which i configured . I
created a new elastic search template. When reading the readme file, it has
been mentioned to create metron_alert field. What is the difference between
is_alert and metron_alert.

What are the configuration needed to push data as alerts in metron
AlertsUI. I could see logs are being parsed,enriched and indexed in the
elastic search. So created Kibana dashboard .But i couldn't find anything
i. AlertsUI. What should i do?Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jai

Re: Data not populating in metron alerts ui

Posted by Geeks Girls <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the explanation. I want to integrate some threat feeds and also
trying out MaaS . I saw like those are done during enrichment.If we can
pass a batch of data to the threat feed endpoints or MaaS endpoint, that
would be great.We have a custom threat feed, i need to pass a telemetry
source data to that custom feed for enrichment.It can accept 100k records
for processing. So i thought if i can pass set of records to that ,it would
help. Also for MaaS, I can deploy some machine learning models. So batch
enrichment should be helpful.

Regards
Jai

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
Hi Jai -

Posted by Geeks Girls <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanket,

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I am able to see the logs after adding an
additional column is_alert to true. Metron is a SIEM tool and by default if

Posted by Sanket Sharma <sa...@dukstra.com>.
Hi Jai,

Please see my responses below:

This confused me in the beginning as well, but “is_alert” field only controls threat triage score and does not change the behaviour of what gets display in the alerts UI. If the is_alert field is set to true, then threat triage score is calculated based on the rules specified. If is_alert is set to false, then score calculation is skipped. It has no effect on indexing and does not change the behaviour of what gets displayed in the alerts UI. As @Nick Allen<ma...@nickallen.org> explained to me earlier: