Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2014/04/08 12:19:07 UTC

Incubator board report not circulated

Devs,

I recently asked about the board report, and was told it was being
prepared. I didn't hear anything else back about that, nor did I see
anything on the list.

I just checked the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/April2014

We have a board report filled in there. But I can't find any mention
of it on the lists. Was this circulated? How was this done?

In future, reports should be drafted with help from the community, so
that people have a chance to chip in. Also, this helps to alert your
mentors that there is something to review.

Apologies if a note was sent out. I searched my email for it and
cannot find anything.

Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: Incubator board report not circulated

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> Now, and once we graduate, I prefer it if reports are circulated to
> the whole community. If you don't do that, it's just one person's
> perspective.

+1. Will keep that in mind.

> At CouchDB, we even blog them, so the wider community can read about
> our progress.

This is something that we also should adopt. Thanks for these inputs Noah.

--
*Afkham Azeez*
Director of Architecture; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com,
*Member; Apache Software Foundation;
**http://www.apache.org/*<http://www.apache.org/>

*email: **azeez@wso2.com* <az...@wso2.com>
* cell: +94 77 3320919 <%2B94%2077%203320919> blog: *
*http://blog.afkham.org* <http://blog.afkham.org>
*twitter: **http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez*<http://twitter.com/afkham_azeez>

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

--

* cell: +94 77 3320919 blog: **http://blog.afkham.org*<http://blog.afkham.org>

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> I would mention that the diversity question has come up. It was
> flagged in November, and it was flagged last month.
>
> It was mentioned as the top most important issue to address in
> January. This month it is not even listed. (In fact, number 2 is
> completely empty. Error?)

Added it as item #2

> "Community diversity was a concern during the last report, and it has
> been addressed by bringing in a number of non-WSO2 committers & PPMC
> members."

Changed the wording. Please review.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Thank you both for your replies. That is, indeed, very encouraging.

I have no doubt that WSO2 has a lot of experience in this area, and is
a model of how to operate within an Apache community.

It is still important to be circumspect and consider all the major
questions as we prepare for graduation (because not everyone in the
community has the same experience as we do). But I am happy that we've
done that now.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>.
Hi Noah,

Thanks for the clarification - I understand and appreciate the concern
you're raising.

I know this is not a reason to stop being concerned, but I can assure you
that WSO2 has no intention of stopping or slowing down our efforts on this
project in the foreseeable future. I can't project beyond that!

In any case, I apologize for appearing defensive .. that was not my intent
at all. I have no objection to having the clarified wording you wanted to
report to the board (for future reports at this point I guess).

We (WSO2) plan to very actively recruit others to join this project - even
more after graduation as people are a bit reluctant to commit to this stuff
otherwise. If you have suggestions on what to do I'm, and we're, all ears.
When you have a chance please do listen to Samisa's ApacheCon keynote talk
- that'll show you what we plan to do as a company for this stuff.

Cheers,

Sanjiva.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Charter implies something different to me. Resolution is more accurate.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
One more thing.