Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/06/15 20:11:18 UTC

Interesting quote....

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=77&e=1&cid=77&u=/mc/200206
14/tc_mc/andreessen_interview__browser_wars_aren_t_coming_back>

"My attitude is, everybody should try competing with Microsoft once in their
life. Once." -- Marc Andreessen

Re: Interesting quote....

Posted by Vladimir Bossicard <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> I guess, for Marc, Failure IS an option.... For most of us, it is not.

Since you can't be sure to succeed, failure is always an option.  Even
if you don't plan to take it.

If you don't want to fail, simply do not try anything.  But if you you
want to try, failure is part of the risks.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: Interesting quote....

Posted by Kief Morris <ki...@bitbull.com>.
Vladimir Bossicard typed the following on 10:29 AM 6/17/2002 -0700
>> his attitute that you should
>> compete against Microsoft only "once" is what makes him a failure.
>
>"My attitude is, everybody should try competing with Microsoft once in
>their life. Once."
>
>I understand the quote as Marc meaning "[at least] once" and not "[at
>most] once".

I dunno, the repetition of "once", combined with his current venture not
apparently being in competition with MS, leads me to think he means
once is enough, although a good character building exercise.

As in, "Don't call me an idiot. My mother called me an idiot once. Once."

Kief

Re: Interesting quote....

Posted by Vladimir Bossicard <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> his attitute that you should
> compete against Microsoft only "once" is what makes him a failure.

"My attitude is, everybody should try competing with Microsoft once in
their life. Once."

I understand the quote as Marc meaning "[at least] once" and not "[at
most] once".  But it's interpretation.  Ever tried to convince a child
to eat his vegetables?  Chances are that you'll say "try it once"...

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: Interesting quote....

Posted by Shantul Nigam <Sh...@Mac.com>.
I was responding to the quote. Netscape is finally back on track and the
shift to browsers is a success, however, his attitute that you should
compete against Microsoft only "once" is what makes him a failure. Most
of us live by the adage "...Try, try again....". Nothing cannot be beat.
Not even Microsoft.

Netscape had a chance but blew it. Apple had a chance and blew it. Java
right now has a chance and may actually succeed. Linux has a chance. The
difference? People behind these technologies fought Microsoft and lost
once, now they are back. SUN, IBM, Oracle, AOL, Ximian, KDE, GNOME, GNU.
The attitude is different. That is what I mean.

It is ok to not succeed. It is failure to give up. Saying you should
compete only once is failure.

Re: Interesting quote....

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Re: Interesting quote....