Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2023/05/17 15:47:09 UTC

Help need with compiling the Getting Started Book

I am having difficulty compiling the Complete book for the Getting
Started Guide. All the chapters  except Chapter 1 (AOO41GS2) Compile
perfectly. There is one figure in chapter 1 that does not come through
properly. It is there in the Chapter file, but not the the complete
book. If one of you could try to compile it and see if there is still a
problem it would be greatly appreciated.

The way I have been doing it is to create a blank writer file from the
AOO Template and then insert the chapters along with any manual breaks
as needed, then at the top insert Aoo41GSFrontMatter.odt which contains
the Tittle Page, Copyright Page and a blank TOC.

Thank a lot for the help

Regards
Keith

Re: Help need with compiling the Getting Started Book

Posted by Michele Petrovsky <pe...@gmail.com>.
Of your list of components, I'm done with Writer, Calc, and Impress.  Will
continue till I've finished the list.

Re: the question of a glossary, I think I need to make clear why I put
forward suggestions like that out there.  My background was in humanities;
I came to tech well into my working life, with as much anxiety as the
average user.  Then, when I began to teach, I saw my students going through
the same apprehensiveness.

To folks with your background, terms like GNOME and KDE (see p. 123) don't
need to be explained.  But to folks like (some of) my students, and even me
at one point, terms like these can induce cold feet.  I'd be willing to bet
a few $$ on the idea that there are at least a few who don't understand
what an operating system (see p. 124) is.

My "mixed background" makes me all the more impressed with open source of
any kind.  I think cultivating audiences like those I've described is very
effective in promoting open source products.  In such contexts, relying on
styles internal to a document as a way to explain or convey meaning may not
suffice.  I did find one example of using less formal language to make an
important point - this statement on p. 144 (italics mine):

*Paste the text in the desired position. Do not worry if it does not look
right; it will in a minute.*

I'm going to proceed with my proofreading; hope to have Draw, Math, and
Base done in another few days.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Michele Petrovsky <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Michele Petrovsky <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 26, 2023 at 8:00 AM Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> F Campos Costero wrote:
> > On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 8:54 AM F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 12:07 PM Keith N. McKenna <
> >> keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> <snip>

> top

> >>   I'll try to compile the whole text and see how it goes.
> >> Francis
> >>

> > Keith,
> > I compiled all of the AOO41GS#.odt files into a file named
> AllChapters.odt.
> > I had to reinsert a figure or two in most of the chapters. After saving
> it
> > and taking a break, I scrolled through the whole document looking for
> > missing figures both among the numbered figures in frames and the in-line
> > images that show individual toolbar icons. That was very tedious, so I'm
> > not highly confident I didn't miss anything. However, I didn't see any
> > missing figures. There is a comment on page 251 that needs to be
> resolved.
> > I'm not sure what you would like for the next step. I could just push the
> > AllChapters file (with a different name?) to the top level folder of the
> > repository, or I can make it available separately.
> > Regards,
> > Francis
> >
> Francis;
>
> For now, since there are questions to be resolved, push it to the Review
> folder as AOO41GS.odt.
> Again thank you for helping to get this straightened out.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Keith,
I just pushed AOO41GS.odt to the Review folder.
Regards,
Francis

Re: Help need with compiling the Getting Started Book

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by F Campos Costero <fj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Keith,

Posted by Michele Petrovsky <pe...@gmail.com>.
That's how I would have done it, Keith.  Unfortunately, I'm not familiar
enough with ODT or Giot to be of more help.  But your logic is completely
sound.

From my end, I'm about to begin a com[rehensive review of the most recent
version of Getting Started. I'm going to walk through the whole thing,
looking for language that might be more clear.  Should enough examples of
that surface, I can construct a glossary.

For example, the chapter on Base states:

Databases bear a superficial similarity to the more widely encountered
spreadsheets,
but there are important differences. A database consists of a number of
columns or
fields that contain the individual pieces of data. Groups of fields make up
a table of
the database. When creating a table, you also determine the characteristics
of each
field in the table. This is one key difference from spreadsheets. Each
field or column
may contain only one kind of data.

Clear enough to anyone who's worked with databases, but perhaps not so to
new users.  It's things like that I'll look for.

*Michele Petrovsky*