Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rick Hodgson <rh...@pobox.com> on 2001/09/08 00:51:15 UTC

Error: 500 in jk_nt_service.exe; not "logoff" error

I've encountered an error which I've not seen discussed in any thread.

I get a null pointer exception when I attempt to execute my servlet via
Tomcat running under the jk_nt_service.exe module.

If I stop the "Jakarta" service and run "Tomcat" as a forground process,
my servlet works as expected.

Note, I get the exact same error if I run "Tomcat" via the "JavaService"
module mentioned in the TC3.2.3 documentation.

Also, my servlet is indirectly invoked via a "Do It" web page. This "Do
It" page is being correctly processed by "Tomcat as NT service".

Environment:
    jdk1.3.1
    j2sdkee1.2.1
    IIS 5.5/sp1
    Tomcat3.2.3 (dated 07/17/2001)
    Win2K/sp2

Installed, configured and tested Tomcat3.2.3 with supplied "/examples".

Installed, configured and tested Tomcat3.2.3 "jk_nt_service.exe" with
supplied "/examples".

Deployed and configured my "ebiz" servlet in "webapps/ebiz".

Any attempt to invoke the servlet "Rwh_Ebiz_Svlt" fails with the
following:

Error: 500
Location: /ebiz/Rwh_Ebiz_Svlt
Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass0(Native Method)
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(ClassLoader.java:588)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveClassLoader.loadClass(AdaptiveClassLoader.java:518)

 at
org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader.loadClass(AdaptiveServletLoader.java:174)

 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.loadServlet(ServletWrapper.java:265)

 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java:289)
 at
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:812)

 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:758)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:166)

 at

 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)

 at java.lang.Thread

As can be seen, "Tomcat" does parse and attempt to load
"/ebiz/Rwh_Ebiz_Svlt" but fails.

The "stderr.log" from "Tomcat as service" shows the following extra line
in its exception handler:

2001-09-07 17:23:24 - Ctx( /ebiz ): Exception in: R( /ebiz +
Rwh_Ebiz_Svlt + null) - java.lang.NullPointerException

Anyone else encounter this problem? Anyone have a solution?

Rick W. Hodgson