Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Christoph Wilhelms <Ch...@impress.com> on 2003/01/30 08:42:09 UTC

[Discussion] (Fake)Forrest for Jakarta!

Hi all!

I saw the "Tapestry" discussion, and this remindet me, that I wanted to
"carry" FakeForrest to Jakarta!

So what is it? Simple: It's a set of 2 Velocity/Anakia template-files and
some images. The Velocity templates are build upon the Jakarta-ones and
follow the Jakarta-Anakia-DTD!

What does it? It renders Anakia-build websites with the (current - with some
small modifications - see below) Forrest skin.

Where can I find it? We currently use this to build the
http://ant.apache.org website so you can preview the result there and the
sources are in the Ant-cvs
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-ant/xdocs/stylesheets/.

Why should we use it? IMHO it is the FASTEST way to provide a nice,
functional and consistent look of the entire xxx.apache.org website!

Are there any limitations? Yes: Currently there are no multiple tabs for
menues on the left side, but this can easyly be solved by allowing multiple
menu-sections in the proect.xml

Additionally: We (Conor ;)) recently fixed some incompatibilities with the
HTML 4.01 standard so it now generates validatable HTML 4.01 code! It's
proved, it works, it's nice ;).

Remark: I do not see Fake-Forrest as the final solution, but its a nice and
fast way in moving to a nice new, consisten etc. look of the Apache website,
as I said before!

Thoughts?
Christoph