Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Will Rogers <wj...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/29 00:38:15 UTC

end-to-end build and deploy including Subversion checkout?

Hi Buildr folks,

My ultimate goal in adopting a Java build system is to have a
single-command process that can check code out of source control,
build it, and deploy it. Now that I've read through all the Buildr
documentation, it seems that Buildr is perfect for building, and I
also think it can be comfortably pressed into service for deployment
using custom tasks that stop/start Windows services and copy files
around (we are using JBoss + wrapper).

However, I'm still not sure of the best way to automate the first
step, getting the code (and buildfile!) out of Subversion. Does anyone
use Buildr for this? How do you approach it? Or do you use a
non-Buildr Rakefile or just a shell script as a "bootstrap" step? I'd
really appreciate some tips or, better yet, example scripts.

-- Will

Re: end-to-end build and deploy including Subversion checkout?

Posted by Will Rogers <wj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Alex. I know what I want to accomplish, but I'm still getting
a feel for the Java ecosystem, so I'm not always sure what the popular
steps are along the way. Your pointers toward fresh research material
are very helpful.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Will,

The code checkout step is usually handed by the continuous integration
server, such as Hudson, Luntbuild/Quickbuild, Bamboo, etc.  It conveniently
avoids the bootstraping issue of having Buildr run before a buildfile is
available.

If this is too heavy for you, I'd consider using Rake or just plain shell
scripts for bootstraping.  The rest can be handled by Buildr.  (If using
Rake, you can use parts of Buildr as a library if you need to download
artifacts and such before Buildr is launched)

alex