Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ti...@EverBank.com on 2004/12/01 17:48:16 UTC

Portal - Event Handling

I could use a little enlightenment on Portal Events.

I've got a nice little coplet that allows the creation of simple layouts
in much the same way as the layout utility in the original Portal-FW
block does. Functionally, it's fine, but it suffers from a seperation of
concerns issue which not only offends my esthetic sense but I suspect
may even post data to unrelated apps (or vice versa). Among other
things.

What I have at the moment is a Generator that pulls in the current
portal layout and feeds it down the pipeline. It's currently accepting
parameters which cause the layout changes to be applied before the
stream is generated. A cleaner approach would be to have the layout
changes handled as events and the generator simply generate.

So the proper flow would be to have an event handler with parameters
than indicate the type of changed and applies the parameter values to
the persistent copy of the layout, then ensures a refresh of the portal
display. Unfortunately, I can't quite make sense of how the Portal Event
subsystem would do something like that. Extra points, BTW for being able
to keep the in-memory copy of the newly rearranged portal layout
available for the generator to tap into (if possible).

  Tim Holloway

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although our company attempts to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Re: Portal - Event Handling

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I'm very confused.  Where is your generator used? In the pipeline that
retrieves the layout portal.xml file?  As I have no idea how the original
Portal framework worked I am not sure what you are attempting to do.

If you are attempting to dynamically create layouts you can do that by
manipulating the pipelines that generate the various portal.xml files.
However, that only happens at the start of a session.  Are you trying to
add stuff later?

Ralph