Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2004/05/03 01:03:41 UTC

Repository format file and multiple fs backends

How are we planning on handling repository format changes now that
there are multiple filesystem backends?  The format file as it stands
just holds the version for the bdb filesystem, and has nothing to do
with the fsfs filesystem.

Perhaps we should find some way to transition to a filesystem backend
specific system for indicating what version of the repository schema is
in use.  That certainly seems better than screwing things up for all
the fsfs users the next time we need to bump the bdb filesystem schema
version, or vice versa.

-garrett

Re: Repository format file and multiple fs backends

Posted by Edmund Horner <ch...@chrysophylax.cjb.net>.

Re: Repository format file and multiple fs backends

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:03, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Perhaps we should find some way to transition to a filesystem backend
> specific system for indicating what version of the repository schema is
> in use.  That certainly seems better than screwing things up for all
> the fsfs users the next time we need to bump the bdb filesystem schema
> version, or vice versa.

Sure.  Associating the repository format file with the FS format is a
layering violation.

The next time we need to bump the FS format version (I don't think we
really have consensus on whether we can do that before 2.0), we can add
a format file to the relevant FS directory.  The repository format file
will refer to the repository format, although we don't really expect to
change that incompatibly in the forseeable future.