Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/01/11 18:41:43 UTC

Re: [INTRODUCE] apr-java

Silly Question - doesn't this proposal fit better
in the commons project than Tomcat?

For that matter, I'm rolling the dice that the apr
project itself would entertain the possibilities of
supporting jni / xs / c++ wrappers.

The reason I suggest this is that we have .pkg and .rpm
folks supporting standardized apr 0.9 / 1.x installs.
To keep these in sync would ultimately become quite
important.  The second reason is that we should truly
adopt consistent OO conventions for all of these varied
extension schemas.

Bill

Re: [INTRODUCE] apr-java

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:03 PM 1/11/2005, Mladen Turk wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> Silly Question - doesn't this proposal fit better
>> in the commons project than Tomcat?
>
>Perhaps, but the guys that are interested in
>both c and Java live inside J-T-C :).

Actually, the converse is true - tomcat-dev is modestly
high traffic & high number of subscribers.  The interest
in this nitch is probably much lower across tomcat-dev
subscribers (the ones who want to be here, not the ones
who manage to subscribe & post "let me out" 3 days later :-)

>And since it will be buildable independent
>of any connector code, it could be moved to
>commons or even apr.

???  If you don't have apr - it seems a little problematic
to build an apr-jni interface.

>> The reason I suggest this is that we have .pkg and .rpm
>> folks supporting standardized apr 0.9 / 1.x installs.
>
>Well that's OK, but the apr-java consists of two parts:
>native library and .jar file, requires Java SDK installed, etc.

Of course.  There is glue on both sides.  To build an apr xs
thunk, one needs perl, to build an apr c++ wrapper, one needs
c++ (which apr doesn't require.)  Same if there was an apr
.NET wrapper.

I'm thinking in terms of optional components buildable under
the apr tree, when the appropriate choices are made.

The point I was making is that it would be a shame to reinvent
the object model of APR for several different languages.  Any
robust APR-wrapper object model should prove exceedingly
consistent (to the developer/user) between langauges, although
the glue varies wildly.

This has all already been accomplished by our devoted modperl
developers.  Why not fold all such special interests?

If this is of little interest to dev@apr in general, we can
always spin of dev-oo@apr for object and glue discussions.

Bill

Re: [INTRODUCE] apr-java