Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2002/11/03 02:30:24 UTC

Re: sync various descriptions of Forrest

Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > > I have noticed that Forrest is described inconsistently
> > > in various documents. So i have gathered together the
> > > descriptions to start refinement. I think that we need a
> > > longish description (refine what we have at A) and
> > > also develop a one-liner.
> >
> > Excellent idea.  It's the first thing users see, sent out
> > with every project announcement.. well worth polishing.
> <snip/>
> > >
> > > Having read that, is a potential user _any_ closer to knowing
> > > what Forrest actually is? To me it seems almost meaningless.
> > > "robust
> > > technical infrastructure".. an operating system perhaps? :)
> > >
> > > How about:
> > >
> > >   "Forrest is an XML-oriented project documentation system based on
> > >   Apache Cocoon.  It contains XML schemas (DTDs), XSLT stylesheets,
> > >   images and other resources used to render a project's XML source
> > >   files into a website."
> >
> > Better. Here is my version.
> >
> >  "Forrest is an XML-oriented project documentation framework
> >  based on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schema,
> >  images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the
> >  XML source content into a website via command-line, robot, or
> >  a dynamic web application."
>
> Better still :)
>
> Perhaps "XML standards-oriented" instead of "XML-oriented"?  It hints
> that we prefer standard ways of doing things: XSLT over Velocity etc,
> which is a nice selling point.
>
> Would be nice to somehow convey that Forrest scales from static to
> dynamic sites.  Ie, start out with a small static site, then when you
> find you need user login, feedback modules or RSS feeds, switch
> painlessly to a live webapp.  I don't know of anything else that offers
> this possibility.

Here is the current draft:
 "Forrest is an XML standards-oriented project documentation
  framework based on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets
  and schema, images and other resources. Forrest uses these to
  render the XML source content into a website via command-line,
  robot, or a dynamic web application. Start with a small static
  site and grow to a dynamic application."

Issues:
1) Is it getting too long?

2) "schema" is a singular word, "schemata" is the proper plural,
but it sounds like a disease or a religious affliction. Is there
a better term? I am trying to avoid specific terms like DTD,
WXS, or XML Schema (when they mean W3C XML Schema). One other
choice is "grammar".

3) We still need a one-liner too. This is needed for
Bugzilla and will be useful elsewhere.

--David

Re: sync various descriptions of Forrest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > <snip/>
> > >
> > > Here is the current draft:
> > >  "Forrest is an XML standards-oriented project documentation
> > >   framework based on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets
> > >   and schema, images and other resources. Forrest uses these to
> > >   render the XML source content into a website via command-line,
> > >   robot, or a dynamic web application. Start with a small static
> > >   site and grow to a dynamic application."
> > >
> > > Issues:
> > > 1) Is it getting too long?
>
> Maybe we should drop the last line.. it really needs a separate
> paragraph.

Yes, i wondered about that too. I agree, i will add that into the
second paragraph.

> > > 2) "schema" is a singular word, "schemata" is the proper plural,
> > > but it sounds like a disease or a religious affliction. Is there
> > > a better term? I am trying to avoid specific terms like DTD,
> > > WXS, or XML Schema (when they mean W3C XML Schema). One other
> > > choice is "grammar".
> >
> > This is still an outstanding issue. Any suggestions?
>
> schemas?
>
> There was a massive XML-DEV thread about schemas vs schemata.
> I can't remember which side won.

If anyone is interested then Google found it. This link
will dump you in the middle of two threads on the topic.
 http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/threads.html#01024

I tried, but emerged as a blithering wreck.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
<snip/>

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi Bert,

I just looked at our new site in Nav4.7. I think it is OK for Nav4 users (except
our logo is white on a white backgrouund...).

Checkout http://www.livestoryboard.com

It looks similar in lynx.

Should we cater to the (less than) 1% of Nav users or the 10-20% of visually
impaired users?

If you all want, we can use the livestoryboard.com site as a base for a forrest
skin. We have put ALOT of work into the layout/css. The site can look extremely
different by simply changing the CSS.

best,
-Rob

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.

Standards compliance (Was: sync various descriptions of Forrest)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Robert Koberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Knowing that one of the goals of the forrest project is to create standards
> based sites, I wanted to check if
> http://xml.apache.org/forrest/ is valid according to the standards initiatives.

Excellent work Robert. This is extremely important.

> It fails on validating to HTML 4.01 transitional. Check at:
> http://validator.w3.org/
>
> It fails U.S. Section 508 Guidelines:
> http://bobby.watchfire.com/
> (I don't know what you have to do to get 'Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
> 1.0' valid - koberg.com doesn't even validate to this...)
>
> And it fails on CSS:
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html
>
> I would suggest that rather than focus on fixing current styling
> (though it is not far from being valid), that effort is put
> toward developing a tableless layout.

I would like to see both happening. Tweak the current
stuff to get as close as possible, and perhaps uncover
some issues in the process. Simultaneously work on a
tableless layout. This would be just another skin, and
perhaps its own sitemap. Please provide patches and we
will get started with both jobs.

There is a new document in Forrest: compliance.xml
This has the URLs and info that Robert has initiated.
There are also some dot points, where i have listed
some important issues from each. Please add more.

--David

RE: sync various descriptions of Forrest

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Or maybe even more raw

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

RE: sync various descriptions of Forrest

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Hi,