Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/02 16:17:58 UTC

Root pom doesn't specify maven-eclipse-plugin version

Using maven 2.0.10, I ran into the maven-eclipse-plugin 2.6 bug fix
that excludes anything not Java from being on the classpath. I didn't
upgrade my eclipse plugin, and thought that as of 2.0.8 the root pom
specifies stable plugins for each release. Apparently,
maven-eclipse-plugin is not amongst the listed, fixed plugins, since I
got version 2.6 today.

Is there a reason why the eclipse plugin is not part of the root pom
specification?

The effective pom for my project suggests that the following plugins
have a version specified in the root pom:

maven-antrun-plugin:1.3
maven-assembly-plugin:2.2-beta-2
maven-clean-plugin:2.2
maven-compiler-plugin:2.0.2
maven-dependency-plugin:2.0
maven-deploy-plugin:2.4
maven-ear-plugin:2.3.1
maven-ejb-plugin:2.1
maven-install-plugin:2.2
maven-jar-plugin:2.2
maven-javadoc-plugin:2.5
maven-plugin-plugin:2.4.3
maven-rar-plugin:2.2
maven-release-plugin:2.0-beta-8
maven-resources-plugin:2.3
maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-7
maven-source-plugin:2.0.4
maven-surefire-plugin:2.4.3
maven-war-plugin:2.1-alpha-2

And I know that it is prudent to have a version specified for each
build to ensure reproducability (as evidenced by todays hunt after the
inadvertent upgrade to eclipse 2.6)

Martijn

Re: Root pom doesn't specify maven-eclipse-plugin version

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/04/2009, at 1:17 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> Is there a reason why the eclipse plugin is not part of the root pom
> specification?

Under the current system, it would make getting the latest version
from the command line too awkward, so hasn't been done for plugins
primarily run from there and not the lifecycle.

More detail: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4100

Cheers,
Brett