Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ap...@donnacha.com on 2005/10/17 22:25:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Creating a Catch-Everything Catch-All

Please forgive my lack of clue.  I have read the FAQ and googled
ferociously but haven't been able to find a solution, I hope that
someone here can help me.

I would like anybody to be able to point their domains at my nameservers
and for anybody browsing to "thatdomain.com" or "www.thatdomain.com" or
"*.thatdomain.com" or "thatdomain.com/*" to see a default/catch-all PHP
page.

Of course, if someone browses to a domain I have defined I don't want
them to see the catch-all.

>From my research so far, I suspect there is some way to achieve this
using default virtualhosts and I have tried entering various entries
into httpd.conf but, unfortunately, most of the instructions I'm working
from presume more basic knowledge than I have and leave out certain
parts of the entry that are probably obvious to everyone but me.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could show me exactly what a
comprehensive default virtualhost entry that catches all variations and
subdomains etc should look like, and tell me if there are any other
settings I should also be changing.

Again, sorry if this is all very obvious stuff, I honestly haven't been
able to get my head around it.

Thanks,

Donnacha