Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ma...@virginmoney.com on 2007/07/02 18:00:22 UTC

Configuring Tiles in S2

Hi,

Has anyone tried plugging in tiles in Struts 2 application. Sample
configuration code can be of great help.

Thanks.
Manoj.

This e-mail is intended to be confidential to the recipient. If you receive a copy in error, please inform the sender and then delete this message. Virgin Money do not accept responsibility for changes made to any e-mail after sending. Virgin Money have swept, and believe this e-mail to be free of viruses and profanity but make no guarantees to this effect.

Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 3072766. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. Register Number 179271. The Virgin Deposit Account is a personal bank account with The Royal Bank of Scotland.

Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England no. 3000482. Entered on the Financial Services Authority's Register. Register Number 171748.

Virgin Money Ltd. Registered in England no. 4232392. Introducer appointed representative only of Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Ltd.

Virgin Money Management Services Ltd. Registered in England no.3072772.

Virgin Money Group Ltd. Registered in England no.3087587.

All the above companies have their Registered office at Discovery House, Whiting Road, Norwich NR4 6EJ.

All products are open only to residents of the United Kingdom.

This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money email scanning system powered by Messagelabs.

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> And Tiles 2 is not sandboxed anymore. Dave, where
> have you been in the last year? :-)

Using Google to search for Tiles 2 ;)

d.

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/7/2, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>:

> The tiles plugin page [1] gives the basics. Tiles2 was
> in a bit of flux when I used it for a previous
> application so my code may not be up-to-date; I'd
> check the Tiles site [2, but I don't know if it's the
> right URL] for current DTD/tag docs.
>
> d.
>
> [1]
> http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/tiles-plugin.html
> [2]
> http://struts.apache.org/struts-sandbox/tiles/index.html

Mmm... the wiki contains some old references.
And Tiles 2 is not sandboxed anymore. Dave, where have you been in the last
year? :-)

Antonio

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Ma...@virginmoney.com.
Thanks Chris.
I think it moved one step further..

now my web.xml looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_9" version="2.4"
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"

    <display-name>Mortgage Application</display-name>

    <filter>
        <filter-name>mortgage</filter-name>

<filter-class>org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher</filter-class>
    </filter>

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>mortgage</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>tiles</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.tiles.servlet.TilesServlet</servlet-class>
        <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>
    <context-param>
        <param-name>tiles-definitions</param-name>
        <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-config.xml</param-value>
    </context-param>
    <listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.struts2.tiles.StrutsTilesListener</listener-class>
    </listener>
</web-app>

tiles-config.xml
------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE tiles-definitions PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD
Tiles Configuration 2.0//EN"
        "http://tiles.apache.org/dtds/tiles-config_2_0.dtd">

 <tiles-definitions>
    <definition  name="selectProd" path="/pages/selectproduct.jsp"/>
</tiles-definitions>

and struts.xml
---------------------------

    <result-types>
      <result-type name="tiles"
class="org.apache.struts2.views.tiles.TilesResult"/>
    </result-types>

    <action name="selectProduct">
        <result type="tiles">selectProd</result>
    </action>

when i try to try to load the page the following error occurs

08:57:36,479 INFO  [BasicTilesContainer] Initializing Tiles2 container. . .
08:57:36,479 WARN  [BasicTilesContainer] Unable to find configured
definition '/
WEB-INF/tiles.xml'
08:57:36,479 INFO  [BasicTilesContainer] Tiles2 container initialization
complet
e.
08:57:36,479 INFO  [TilesAccess] Publishing TilesContext for context:
org.apache
.tiles.servlet.ServletContextAdapter
08:57:39,932 WARN  [BasicTilesContainer] Unable to find the definition
'selectPr
od'
08:57:39,932 ERROR [[default]] Servlet.service() for servlet default threw
excep
tion
org.apache.tiles.definition.NoSuchDefinitionException: selectProd
        at
org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.render(BasicTilesContainer.
java:398)
        at
org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.render(BasicTilesContainer.
java:374)
        at
org.apache.struts2.views.tiles.TilesResult.doExecute(TilesResult.java

I am not able to understand why is it try to look for tiles.xml in WEB-INF
directory and thus not finding the definition.
I tries renaming the file to tiles.xml but that also did not help(then the
NullPointer error re-appered)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Manoj.

             "Chris Pratt"
             <thechrispratt@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       "Struts Users Mailing List"
             02/07/2007 19:35          <us...@struts.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "Struts Users           Re: Configuring Tiles in S2
               Mailing List"
             <user@struts.apac
                  he.org>

You may need to include the context-param to define your
tiles-config.xmlfile for the listener.

  <context-param>
    <param-name>tiles-definitions</param-name>
    <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-config.xml</param-value>
  </context-param>

  (*Chris*)

On 7/2/07, Manoj.Gupta@virginmoney.com <Ma...@virginmoney.com> wrote:

> i have done the following configuration ----
>
> struts.xml
> ----------------------
> <result-types>
>       <result-type name="tiles"
> class="org.apache.struts2.views.tiles.TilesResult"/>
>     </result-types>
>

>     <action name="selectProduct">
>         <result type="tiles">selectProduct</result>
>     </action>
>
> web.xml
> --------------------
> <servlet>
>      <servlet-name>tiles</servlet-name>
>      <servlet-class>org.apache.tiles.servlet.TilesServlet</servlet-class>
>      <init-param>
>          <param-name>definitions-config</param-name>
>          <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-config.xml</param-value>
>      </init-param>
>      <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
> </servlet>
> <listener>
>
> <listener-class>org.apache.struts2.tiles.StrutsTilesListener
> </listener-class>
>     </listener>
>
> tiles-config.xml
> -------------------------------
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE tiles-definitions PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD
> Tiles Configuration 2.0//EN"
>         "http://tiles.apache.org/dtds/tiles-config_2_0.dtd">
>
> <tiles-definitions>
>     <definition name="selectProduct" path="/pages/selectproduct.jsp">
>         <put-attribute name="selectProductContent"
> value="/pages/selectproduct.jsp" />
>     </definition>
> </tiles-definitions>
>

> when i try to  try to go to
> http://localhost:8080/mortgage/selectProduct.action  url it comes up with
> the following error
>

> 16:46:07,702 INFO  [ChannelSocket] JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
> 16:46:07,718 INFO  [JkMain] Jk running ID=0 time=0/47  config=null
> 16:46:07,733 INFO  [Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [4.0.5.GA (build:
> CVSTag=Bran
> ch_4_0 date=200610162339)] Started in 31s:500ms
> 16:46:16,796 INFO  [ActionValidatorManagerFactory] Detected
> AnnotationActionVali
> datorManager, initializing it...
> 16:46:17,171 ERROR [BasicTilesContainer] Error rendering tile
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.tiles.context.servlet.ServletTilesRequestContext.forward(S
> ervletTilesRequestContext.java:196)
>         at
> org.apache.tiles.context.servlet.ServletTilesRequestContext.dispatch(
> ServletTilesRequestContext.java:183)
>         at
> org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.render(BasicTilesContainer.
> java:423)
>         at
> org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.render(BasicTilesContainer.
> java:374)
>         at
> org.apache.struts2.views.tiles.TilesResult.doExecute(TilesResult.java
> [...]
cc

>              Please respond to
Subject

答复: Struts 2 displaying message from resource bundle

Posted by chenshibing <ch...@lifeisgreat.com.cn>.
Actually, I didn't understand why you gave <s:actionmessage .../> a key attribute. Meanwhile, you should change <constant name="struts.custom.i18n.resources"
value="ApplicationResources.properties"/> to <constant name="struts.custom.i18n.resources"
value="ApplicationResources"/>

Crazyreal

Using Struts 2   I am trying to  display  message from a resource bundle

in the struts.xml

<constant name="struts.custom.i18n.resources"
value="ApplicationResources.properties"/>

jsp
------
<s:actionmessage key="test.error" />

I have copied the ApplicationResources.properties in the classpath

but it is not reading the message from the property file, it displays the
key.

Please let me know if iam doing something wrong...

[...]

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2 - solved

Posted by Ma...@virginmoney.com.
Thanks Antonio...
It worked.

             "Antonio
             Petrelli"
             <antonio.petrelli                                          To
             @gmail.com>               "Struts Users Mailing List"
                                       <us...@struts.apache.org>
             03/07/2007 09:07                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Configuring Tiles in S2
               "Struts Users
               Mailing List"
             <user@struts.apac
                  he.org>

2007/7/2, Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>:
> You may need to include the context-param to define your
> tiles-config.xmlfile for the listener.
>
>   <context-param>
>     <param-name>tiles-definitions</param-name>
>     <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-config.xml</param-value>
>   </context-param>

It's wrong, the correct (deprecated but still working) parameter name
is "definitions-config".
Anyway, notice that Struts 2.0.8 uses Tiles 2.0.3. With Tiles 2.0.4
the configuration parameters changed the names, so the new name is:
http://tiles.apache.org/config-reference.html#org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.DEFINITIONS_CONFIG

Antonio

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Manoj.Gupta@virginmoney.com wrote:
> 16:46:17,171 ERROR [BasicTilesContainer] Error
> rendering tile
>
> can anyone advise of what we're doing wrong?

That's... perhaps not enough information to go on.

d.

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Ma...@virginmoney.com.
We've done as the tiles plugin page describes but are getting a null
pointer

16:46:16,796 INFO  [ActionValidatorManagerFactory] Detected
AnnotationActionVali
datorManager, initializing it...
16:46:17,171 ERROR [BasicTilesContainer] Error rendering tile

can anyone advise of what we're doing wrong?
Thanks

             Dave Newton
             <newton.dave@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
                                       Struts Users Mailing List
             02/07/2007 17:05          <us...@struts.apache.org>

Re: Configuring Tiles in S2

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.