Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/18 15:24:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] Python and Bindings

In gremlin-python we repurposed Tuple for use with Bindings so that we
could do:

g.V(('id',1)).out('created').name

While that's nice from a syntax perspective, I think we should build an
actual Bindings object to be more explicit in terms of what is being done
there. That will be a breaking change for 3.4.0. I'd imagine that not many
people use this feature as it's only useful for Gremlin with lambdas so
hopefully not a massive impact. Also, the precedent is to use an explicit
Bindings object - we do so in Java and C# - so Python would better match
Java with this change.

Anyway, please let me know if there are any concerns otherwise we'll get
this change in place on:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-2116