Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl> on 2007/12/17 21:40:05 UTC

A nice circle: parent pom in remote repository

Hi,

I've got a nice puzzle. We are making a corporate pom file with some
defaults for plugins and the stuff. Also our inhouse repository is
mentioned in there as well as our inhouse snapshot repository.

So when we have a project which has as parent this pom, we don't have to
configure all that stuff anymore. All nice and set, I've been testing
with this setup and it worked fine. Now my colleague wants to test and
check out our project, runs mvn install and maven starts complaining
that it could not find the parent project. Hmm, I've got a nice circle,
I'm looking for my parent, without the repository configuration, because
that's in my parent.

Is there a way to solve this? I thought about a profile in the
settings.xml or profiles.xml, but then you still have to change the
value everywhere when your repository changes url.

Hope someone has any experience with this.

With regards,

Nick Stolwijk

Re: A nice circle: parent pom in remote repository

Posted by knaas <kn...@biglots.com>.
A related problem can occur when trying to use archetypes from your repo -
can't wait until archetypeng fixes this.  Because of a defect in the
archetype-plugin, you'll need to use the
-DremoteRepositories=http://mycompany.com in order to find them in your
repo.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 12/17/07, Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl> wrote:
>

>> Is there a way to solve this? I thought about a profile in the
>> settings.xml or profiles.xml, but then you still have to change the
>> value everywhere when your repository changes url.
>>

> We put internal repositories in settings.xml -- in fact we repackage
> Maven with that custom settings.xml and distribute it internally.
>
> How often do your repo urls change?  (And why?)

Our current repository is Proximity, which won't be releasing a stable
version, so we are looking to archiva and artifactory. When we change
that, our current url (http://mail.companyname.com/proximity) won't make
much sense. :) Also, we are looking for new IT staff. When we have that,
maybe we can finally be rid of the stupid ( ;-) )
mail.companyname.com/application and instead go to
application.companyname.com. So at the moment, we have two future url
changes.

For now, I add a page to the corporate pom documentation which says you
have to add the profile to your settings.xml.

Thanks,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy

Re: A nice circle: parent pom in remote repository

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
settings.xml is the way to go... set up a specific url and domain so you can
change it without changing the settings.xml later on

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:40:05 Nick Stolwijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a nice puzzle. We are making a corporate pom file with some
> defaults for plugins and the stuff. Also our inhouse repository is
> mentioned in there as well as our inhouse snapshot repository.
>
> So when we have a project which has as parent this pom, we don't have to
> configure all that stuff anymore. All nice and set, I've been testing
> with this setup and it worked fine. Now my colleague wants to test and
> check out our project, runs mvn install and maven starts complaining
> that it could not find the parent project. Hmm, I've got a nice circle,
> I'm looking for my parent, without the repository configuration, because
> that's in my parent.
>
> Is there a way to solve this? I thought about a profile in the
> settings.xml or profiles.xml, but then you still have to change the
> value everywhere when your repository changes url.
>
> Hope someone has any experience with this.
>
> With regards,
>
> Nick Stolwijk

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:gholam@apache.org

Re: A nice circle: parent pom in remote repository

Posted by jsoula <js...@gmail.com>.
We have the same pb. And the only easiest solution we found is to
declare inhouse repositories in pom.xml of each project, not in the
common corporate one. Like this, new checkouts are ready to go, without
configuring settings.xml

Regards,

Jérémy Soula