Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by James Gooding <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/05 14:25:40 UTC

Message size greater than 15MB

System:
Dedicated machine.
Win2000 Professional SP2
500Mhz
256MB RAM
James 2.0a3
Connecting to MSSQL 2000 SP2 for message storage and users/lists, with the
latest SQL JDBC driver from Microsoft.

Config:
No limit on message size
Increased SMTP timeout to 24 minutes

Problem:

10MB messages take about 12 minutes to process through the system with 100%
CPU, with no other activity/messages to process, which is ok. But, I am
having a problem with messages over 15MB.

At the start of the processing of the message the James goes to 100% CPU for
10 secs, 30% for 15 secs then 100% again for 100 secs. Then drops back to
idle.
The message then stays in the spool directory and does not get processed.
Restarting James still has no affect.

I realise that sending messages of this size in general everyday use is not
one of the best ways to work, but every now and again there is a need to
send a large file by mail.

What is the largest message that anyone has processed through James?
Has anyone else come across this, and if so is there something I can to can
do?

Thank you in advance

James Gooding

Re: Message size greater than 15MB

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.
This obviously indicates a bug in either james or in your java virtual
machine (which one are you using?).

If you are using a ms vm then maybe you should try a new sun vm, at least it
is much faster when used with a server application. You can also tune vm
memory settings.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Message size greater than 15MB

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
James,

Would you please re-test your problem with the current Milestone code?
There are changes that dramatically lower the amount of data movement within
the spool.  There is more work to be done on performance, but I'd like to
know what improvement you see.

	--- Noel