Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Smith <sm...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/03 15:54:10 UTC

404s not being handled correctly

I saw something similar to this a while back on the list, but I'm still
having problems with Emberl 2.1.0

When I access a non-existant epl file I see this in the browser:

--
Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email address] and inform them of
the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
caused the error.

  [22142]ERR: 404: asdfsdfsjdf.epl(1): Not found
'/www/common/docs/asdfsdfsjdf.epl', searched: No such file or directory
Apache Embperl 2.1.0 [Tue Jan 3 14:49:14 2006]

--

In the apache error logs I see

[Tue Jan  3 14:52:33 2006] [error] [22142]ERR:  404: asdfsdfsjdf.epl(1): Not
found '/www/common/docs/asdfsdfsjdf.epl', searched: No such file or
directory

In this case I don't have EMBPERL_OPTIONS set, but my intention is to set
this and see a custom 404 error page.  However I get my custom 500 error
page instead.

Is this a problem with Embperl or a problem with me?

Thanks

Michael

RE: 404s not being handled correctly

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Is there a way that the script invoked by ErrorDocument 500
> can determine that is was really a 404 error?

The list of errors is stored in a pnote (See
http://perl.apache.org/embperl/pod/doc/Embperl.-page-13-.htm). You can get
it from there and check if there is only one 404 in the list.

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

Re: 404s not being handled correctly

Posted by Michael Smith <sm...@gmail.com>.
At the moment in Embperl all error are handled the same and gives a 500
> error. I have to handle the not found case special to return the 404
> error,
> which of course makese sense. I will take a look at it during the next
> days.

Thanks Gerald,

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> The tests all pass
>
> When I have optReturnError not set (EMBPERL_OPTIONS=0) and no
> ErrorDocument directive I see the 'internal server error' I
> sent before.
>
> When I have optReturnError (EMBPERL_OPTIONS = 262144) and
> ErrorDocument set then I see the page for ErrorDocument 500
> directive rather than that for the 404, which I thought might
> be related to seeing internal server error when
> optReturnError isn't set.
>
> Any suggestions as to where I look to try and resolve this?

At the moment in Embperl all error are handled the same and gives a 500
error. I have to handle the not found case special to return the 404 error,
which of course makese sense. I will take a look at it during the next days.

When you use Embperl::Object it's already handled corretcly, that was what
the discussion on the maillist you refered was about.

> Incidentally this page
> http://perl.apache.org/embperl/pod/doc/Embperl.-page-13-.htm
> says that optReturnError is set in EMBPERL_DEBUG ... I
> presume EMBPERL_OPTIONS is correct

Yes, EMBPERL_OPTIONS is correct

> Thanks, and Happy New Year!

The same to you