Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net> on 2016/05/17 07:06:05 UTC

Stuck with class ChunkerME: java.lang.String cannot be cast to opennlp.tools.parser.Parse

Dear Apache OpenNLP Project Team,

I have an critical issue when training with Chunker tool in Java:

     - Firstly, the sample code in documentation site
(https://opennlp.apache.org/documentation/1.6.0/manual/opennlp.html#tools.chunker.training.api)
is not work, both for version 1.5.3 and 1.6.0

     - Secondly, I have to edit the codes myself to (using version 1.5.3):

try {
             Charset charset = Charset.forName("UTF-8");
             ObjectStream lineStream = new PlainTextByLineStream(new
FileInputStream(fileChunker), charset);
             ObjectStream<ChunkSample> sampleStream = new
ChunkSampleStream(lineStream);

             chunkerModel = ChunkerME.train("vn", sampleStream,
TrainingParameters.defaultParams(), new ChunkerFactory());

             modelApacheChunkerPath =
UtilityHelper.getTemporaryFilePathInsideDir("chunkerModel.bin");
             OutputStream modelOut = new BufferedOutputStream(new
FileOutputStream(modelApacheChunkerPath));
             chunkerModel.serialize(modelOut);
         } catch (FileNotFoundException fe) {

         } catch (IOException ie) {

         }

     - Thirdly, I have the error "java.lang.String cannot be cast to
opennlp.tools.parser.Parse". The reason is:

             + The constructor of class ChunkSampleStream requires
parameter is "ObjectStream<Parse> in"

             + However, the second parameter of method ChunkerME.train
is "ObjectStream<ChunkSample> in"

I cannot find any way to work around this issue.

Would you please check this point for me?

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Trung Tran.

Re: Stuck with class ChunkerME: java.lang.String cannot be cast to opennlp.tools.parser.Parse

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Can you provide the errors? otherwise we can only guess at what the problem is.

You are using the
/opennlp-tools/src/main/java/opennlp/tools/parser/ChunkSampleStream.java
class instead of the
/opennlp-tools/src/main/java/opennlp/tools/chunker/ChunkSampleStream.java

The first one creates chunk samples from Parse tree, that is why is
asking for ObjectStream<Parse> as input.

What is the error you get when using the code in the documentation?

Best,

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Your corpus is not well formatted. Did you check the format of the
training and test corpus from the English CoNLL 2000 dataset? That is
the format that it requires.

Best,

Re: Cannot train Chunker

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On which data do you train exactly?
How many sentences?

Jörn

Re: Stuck: Cannot train Chunker even with the instruction on the site

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Can you please try training with the CoNLL 2000 data and see if you
get the same error?

Also, can you please put somewhere online your Vietnamese data so we
can try and reproduce that error?

Best,

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.
Dear Apache OpenNLP Project Team,

I really appreciate that you found out what I missed in the training
file format.

I think that is why I also could not train the sample sentence on the
site. I just copied from the site to file. I didn't know that we just
need one single space between columns.

I suggest that you should update the information on the site: from " The
train data consist of three columns separated by spaces." to " The train
data consist of three columns separated by one single space." or
something like this. I  already read carefully the information on
CoNLL-2000 (http://www.clips.uantwerpen.be/conll2000/chunking/) and the
information on this should be changed too.

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ro...@ehu.eus>.
Hi,

Your data is bad-formatted. Only one space between columns is
required. As I have repeatedly mentioned, the chunker takes the CoNLL
2000 format, which I assume you have not checked.

If you just separate the columns by a single space, the training will
be successfully completed, although it will not be of much use with
only one or two sentences in the training data.

bin/opennlp ChunkerTrainerME -params
lang/ml/PerceptronTrainerParams.txt -lang en -model vietnamese.bin
-data ~/vietnamese.txt
Indexing events using cutoff of 0

    Computing event counts...  done. 27 events
    Indexing...  done.
Collecting events... Done indexing.
Incorporating indexed data for training...
done.
    Number of Event Tokens: 27
        Number of Outcomes: 10
      Number of Predicates: 944
Computing model parameters...
Performing 300 iterations.
  1:  . (8/27) 0.2962962962962963
  2:  . (24/27) 0.8888888888888888
  3:  . (27/27) 1.0
  4:  . (27/27) 1.0
  5:  . (27/27) 1.0
  6:  . (27/27) 1.0
Stopping: change in training set accuracy less than 1.0E-5
Stats: (27/27) 1.0
...done.
Writing chunker model ... Compressed 944 parameters to 805
39 outcome patterns
done (0.103s)

Wrote chunker model to
path: vietnamese.bin

HTH,

Rodrigo

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.

Re: Cannot train Chunker

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.

Cannot train Chunker

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.

Posted by Rodrigo Agerri <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I cannot reproduce this error. If I get the training data from the
CoNLL 2000 website as it is,

http://www.cnts.ua.ac.be/conll2000/chunking/

It trains perfectly well with default training parameters and obtains
92.40 F1 on the test distributed also in the CoNLL 2000 site.

Best,

Posted by "ttrung@nlke-group.net" <tt...@nlke-group.net>.