Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com> on 2008/10/08 02:46:55 UTC

Almost ready to commit major social rewrite patch

Just a quick status update of where I am with the social api rewrite for
php-shindig:

I've rewritten pretty much the entire social layer, and implemented a nice
clean (and future extensable) abstraction for the rest + json-rpc
interfaces, and have been focusing on making sure it would pass the (0.7)
compliance test suite, as of today i'm down to 9 errors, 5 of which also
error on java-shindig on orkut and hi5 so I'm actually down to 4 errors to
still fix before I'd consider it 'done', in other words damn close!

Now i've been focusing my development on the social-api layer and using
partuza's back-end (since it's much more feature rich, so a proper test for
the code), I haven't fully fixed the sample json-db back-end yet, and
probably won't before committing, reason being that I dislike having
developed out-of-svn for so long, it makes things way to hidden and
un-transparent, so I'd rather commit sooner then later.

So once the commit goes in I expect the sample container + json db to break
misserably.. so will anyone's implementations based on the old SPI, since
pretty much all response error handling has been changed from returning
response items to throwing exceptions (much cleaner design & less code), and
all return values are now plain vars or array's (vs response items before),
this is much cleaner and much less work for anyone implementing the
interfaces, but as mentioned, it's going to cause some headaches in the
short run.

Prepare for some work on implementing this on your own container once this
lands, and some complaints about the sample container being broken ... but
at least we're getting very close to being release ready & having a clean
bill of health in the test suite!

   -- Chris