Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sc...@btopenworld.com on 2003/09/30 11:18:18 UTC

Re: Combining ant and maven

Originally I was looking for the property (which I figured must exist) that represented 'target/distributions'. This was so that I could copy the maven created distribution to somewhere of my choice.

Thanks to your note below, I've checked the plugin properties. The dist plugin does not declare such a property. However I looked in the plugin.jelly file and found that maven.dist.dir was what I was looking for.

But I'm concerned about the scope comment in your reply below. Are you indicating that the maven.dist.dir property is not available for use in maven.xml by users?

(Actually, maven is a lot less scary once you see a plugin.jelly file. Maybe the website documentation should show one of these files as a gentler way to move people from ant to maven?)

Stephen

Re: Combining ant and maven

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
From: <di...@multitask.com.au>
> scolebourne@btopenworld.com wrote on 30/09/2003 07:18:18 PM:
> > (Actually, maven is a lot less scary once you see a plugin.jelly
> > file. Maybe the website documentation should show one of these files
> > as a gentler way to move people from ant to maven?)
>
> You mean http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#maven.xml isn't
> enough?
Not really. I was referring more to the plugin.jelly files that actually
seem to define each of the maven goals. If you can communicate the message
that many maven goals are just organized ant tasks it makes things less
scary. This could be done by displaying a simple plugin.jelly file and
explaining it. Just a suggestion.

Stephen

Re: Combining ant and maven

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
scolebourne@btopenworld.com wrote on 30/09/2003 07:18:18 PM:

> Originally I was looking for the property (which I figured must
> exist) that represented 'target/distributions'. This was so that I
> could copy the maven created distribution to somewhere of my choice.
>
> Thanks to your note below, I've checked the plugin properties. The
> dist plugin does not declare such a property. However I looked in
> the plugin.jelly file and found that maven.dist.dir was what I was
> looking for.

Bad documentation. MAVEN-869 raised.

> But I'm concerned about the scope comment in your reply below. Are
> you indicating that the maven.dist.dir property is not available for
> use in maven.xml by users?

No. Each plugin has it's own scope. Hence plugins can't (easily) see all
other plugins variables for dumping.