Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Wall <d....@computer.org> on 2005/03/30 01:29:35 UTC

Compressing file uploads with TC 4.1

As I undertand it, some browsers (which ones?) support GZIP compression.
I'm not sure if the HTTP response needs to include anything to tell the
browser that the server supports it or not.  Does anybody know if Tomcat
will provide the right headers for that?

I read in the Coyote HTTP connector that I can set "compression=on".  Does
that use the browser/http protocol for negotiating whether that's allowed or
not?  Certainly, if the modern browsers support GZIP, that would be valuable
for file uploads and the like, but we wouldn't want it to try to use
compression if the browser didn't support it.

Is this the way to go or do I need to do something else?

Thanks,
David