Posted to dev@tajo.apache.org by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> on 2014/01/02 08:12:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] patch review process

Hi folks,

As the community and the number of contributors grow, more patches are
being submitted. We have faced the increasing burden of patch peer
review. So far,  we have mostly submitted patches to Jira and leaved
comments on the corresponding JIRA issue. This way is not bad, but its
productivity for review is not good.

In order to mitigate the burden of patch review, I propose that we
should use reviewboard for more significant than minor issues.
Reviewboard allows reviewers to directly add ideas and comments on the
diff or source code. In addition, Reviewboard enables reviews to view
the only difference between two patches. I think that they are really
nice features. I believe we will experience more efficient and
convenient review process if we use reviewboard more. I also think
that this rule should be strongly recommended rather than mandatory.

If you have any idea, feel free to suggest me. Also, I welcome just an
agreement expression about this idea.

- hyunsik

Re: [DISCUSS] patch review process

Posted by ktpark <si...@gmail.com>.
+1

I’m not familiar with review board but it really sounds good to me !!

2014. 1. 2., 오후 4:12, Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> 작성:

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jihoon, I think we could make a script to help committer to copy
the comment commits when merging the commits from a pull requests so
when we commit to ASF git repo we preserve the commit comments from
their github private repo commits.

Or as Hyunsik mentioned, we could go with review board for classic
review and commit using ASF git repo directly.

- Henry

Posted by Jihoon Son <gh...@gmail.com>.
++1.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
FYI,

Few weeks ago, I asked ASF infra team to give the admin grants of
reviewboard to PMC members.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7144.

The ask was resolved today. So, PMC members can close stale review
requests if you didn't creat those issues.

- hyunsik

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestions and comments.
>
> From now, review requests to reviewboard will be strongly recommended.
> However, very trivial patches would not submitted to Jira as I
> mentioned at the first time.
>
> According to this decision, I'll change HowToContribute page in the
> wiki and some pages in homepage. Also, I'll create some jira issues
> for additional tools that help us to use reviewboard.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah but I think we could somehow sync Github and JIRA but I guess not
>> all devs comfortable with Github pull requests flow =)
>>
>> But for quick turnaround I think we could start easy with just using
>> reviewboard as review tool and JIRA as bug tracking tool.
>> Once a patch too bug for manual glance in the patch then contributor
>> should open RB ticket and add link in the JIRA, via manual or the
>> tools you mentioned.
>> If RB link is there then all comm about the patch should happen in the RB.
>>
>> I know Apache Shindig did it this way and been working well too.
>>
>> - Henry
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Github looks cool. However, our situation is different from that of
>>> Spark. We have heavily used Jira for 10 months, while Spark community
>>> started with Github instead of Jira. If we use github and jira
>>> together, it is hard to track both system at the same time. It may be
>>> burden for many guys.
>>>
>>> I have been investigated more convenient way. It's combination looks cool.
>>>
>>> - Kafka Patch Review Tool
>>> (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+patch+review+tool)
>>>   - It enables users to submit a patch to the reviewboard and jira by
>>> just one line command
>>> - 'rbt patch' command
>>> (http://www.reviewboard.org/docs/rbtools/dev/rbt/commands/patch/)
>>>   - Once executed, It downloads and applies the latest or specified
>>> patch to a local source tree.
>>>
>>> With these utilities, we can make the following process.
>>>
>>> = Patch submission process =
>>> 1. A developer creates a jira issue.
>>> 2. A developer finishes the issue.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
The precommit test is also on-going work.

You can track the progress at TAJO-166
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAJO-166) with the followings:
https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-Tajo-Build

- hyunsik