Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Andy Norris <an...@tireswing.net> on 2004/09/23 17:20:42 UTC

Whitelisting question

We're migrating from one server to another. Both now have the same versions
of SpamAssassin (2.64) and MailScanner running.

We had all our whitelisting on the old server going on in
/etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules.

Those listed in that file on our new server are not being recognized. I've
restarted the spamd service, and have even rebooted.

I am adding those listings on the new server to the file
/usr/share/spamassassin/60_whitelist.cf. I'm pulling at straws at this
point as people having their newsletters flagged as spam get madder at me
day by day!

Am I on the right path, or is there a secret I should know -- a gotcha --
that would make one install of the same version on the same OS (RedHat) so
vastly different from one server to another?

Thanks very much,

Andy Norris

Re: Whitelisting question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 11:20 AM 9/23/2004, Andy Norris wrote:
>We're migrating from one server to another. Both now have the same
>versions of SpamAssassin (2.64) and MailScanner running.
>
>We had all our whitelisting on the old server going on in
>/etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules.
>
>Those listed in that file on our new server are not being recognized. I've
>restarted the spamd service, and have even rebooted.

1) if you're using mailscanner, you don't need spamd, so don't bother
running it. MailScanner invokes SA directly at the perl code level.

2) the spam.whitelist.rules file is implemented by mailscanner, not SA, so
I'd suggest asking about that file on the MailScanner list

3) make sure you're not doing some sort of double-scanning by calling SA
via MailScanner and procmail at the same time.

Re: Whitelisting question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 11:20 AM 9/23/2004, Andy Norris wrote:
>I am adding those listings on the new server to the file
>/usr/share/spamassassin/60_whitelist.cf.

I forgot a few:

4) do not edit files in /usr/share/spamassassin unless you REALLY know what
you are doing. These files are considered to be a part of spamassassin, and
will be obliterated without prompts when you upgrade. Also, if you screw up
one of these files, it's hard to get your SA back to a working state
without reinstalling.

Define your whitelists, etc in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf instead. If
you screw up, you can always remove it and be right back to an "out of the
box" config.

(note: any duplicate settings in local.cf will clobber the existing
settings in /usr/share when spamassassin starts up and reads the
configuration files. So yes, you really can configure anything you need here.)

5) don't forget to run spamassassin --lint after editing any configuration
files.