Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/09/20 10:48:51 UTC

Tomcat RPM polls

Hi to all,

I'd like to have the opinion of Tomcat RPMS users
about some points since I'm working on enhanced RPMs :

1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
   of root ?

2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
   it active after installation ?

3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from /var/tomcat/conf
   to :

   /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
   /etc/tomcat/

4) Do you want the webapp stuff moved to /var/www/webapps ?

5) Do you want the log stuff moved to /var/log/tomcat ?

Thanks for your replies

-
Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)

Re: Tomcat RPM polls

Posted by Pedro Morais <pm...@rnl.ist.utl.pt>.
Em Quinta, 20 de Setembro de 2001 09:48, escreveste:
> Hi to all,
>
> I'd like to have the opinion of Tomcat RPMS users
> about some points since I'm working on enhanced RPMs :
>
> 1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
>    of root ?

yes

> 2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
>    it active after installation ?

no. security concerns.
You can, however, add something like this to the rpc description
and/or echo it at post:
Tomcat is not enable by default. Run the following commands to enable it.
/sbin/chkconfig tomcat on
/sbin/service tomcat start

> 3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from /var/tomcat/conf
>    to :
>
>    /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
>    /etc/tomcat/

yes

Re: Tomcat RPM polls

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
GOMEZ Henri wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I'd like to have the opinion of Tomcat RPMS users
> about some points since I'm working on enhanced RPMs :
>
> 1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
>    of root ?

+1

> 2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
>    it active after installation ?

-1 on "enabled by default"

> 3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from /var/tomcat/conf
>    to :
>
>    /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
>    /etc/tomcat/

+1

> 4) Do you want the webapp stuff moved to /var/www/webapps ?

I'd like to see it moved out of the /usr/local/tomcat dir, but I don't
have a preference as to where it should go.

> 5) Do you want the log stuff moved to /var/log/tomcat ?

+1
- Christopher

/**
  * Pleurez, pleurez, mes yeux, et fondez vous en eau!
  * La moitiƩ de ma vie a mis l'autre au tombeau.
  *    ---Corneille
  */

Re: Tomcat RPM polls

Posted by Jun Inamori <ju...@oop-reserch.com>.
Bonjour Henri,

Thank you for your effort on RPM distribution.

> 1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
>    of root ?
Yes.

> 2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
>    it active after installation ?
No.

> 3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from
> /var/tomcat/conf to :
>
>    /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
>    /etc/tomcat/
Yes.

> 4) Do you want the webapp stuff moved to /var/www/webapps ?
Yes.

> 5) Do you want the log stuff moved to /var/log/tomcat ?
Yes.

Best regards,
--

Happy Java programming!

Jun Inamori
OOP-Reserch
E-mail: jun@oop-reserch.com

Re: Tomcat RPM polls

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:48:51 +0200
> From: GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org, tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat RPM polls
>
> Hi to all,
>
> I'd like to have the opinion of Tomcat RPMS users
> about some points since I'm working on enhanced RPMs :
>
> 1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
>    of root ?

+1

> 2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
>    it active after installation ?

Can't you set things up for the installer to ask the user this?  It would
be nice to make this easy, but enabling by default is a security risk.

> 3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from /var/tomcat/conf
>    to :
>
>    /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
>    /etc/tomcat/

Does the RPM packaging support the ability (courtesy of catalina.base) to
store static stuff one place, and have multiple installations of the
dynamic stuff?

> 4) Do you want the webapp stuff moved to /var/www/webapps ?

Would /var/tomcat/webapps be more consistent?  Someone unfamiliar with
things would not necessarily tie "www" to Tomcat.

> 5) Do you want the log stuff moved to /var/log/tomcat ?

Makes sense.

> Thanks for your replies
>

> -
> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
> EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)
> PGP KEY : 697ECEDD    ...oOOo..(_)..oOOo...
> PGP Fingerprint : 9DF8 1EA8 ED53 2F39 DC9B 904A 364F 80E6

Craig

Re: Tomcat RPM polls

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> I'd like to have the opinion of Tomcat RPMS users
> about some points since I'm working on enhanced RPMs :
>
> 1) Do you want tomcat to be changed to run as nobody instead
>    of root ?

Yes, if possible. Or as user 'tomcat'

> 2) Do you want tomcat to be enabled by default, ie having
>    it active after installation ?

No. It may be a security issue ( since the user may not have changed the
passwords for admin, etc ). A nice thing would be to not start at all
until this is done - but that should be done in the main tomcat  (and
later )

> 3) Do you want the config stuff to be moved from /var/tomcat/conf
>    to :
>
>    /etc/tomcat/conf (mimic Apache httpd server conf)
>    /etc/tomcat/

+1

> 4) Do you want the webapp stuff moved to /var/www/webapps ?

+0

> 5) Do you want the log stuff moved to /var/log/tomcat ?

+1

Costin