Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Lo...@lotus.com on 2001/03/27 21:28:00 UTC

Re: XPathAPI.selectSingleNode() -- NoSuchMethodError - EnvironmentCheck odd output

By the way: is it Lisa, or John?  You can call me LotusXSL, although some
people call me Mr. Team.  8-)

Hmmm - very strange.  I don't know why it would return the version.xerces
but not be able to load the DOM classes; all it's doing is a simple
Class.forName of a standard DOM interface.

One question: are you running EnvironmentCheck from the command line, or
from your application?  Note that it may give different results in these
cases due to classpath and classloader issues.  I ask because I noticed
that the writeEnvironmentReport didn't show either java.class.path or
sun.boot.class.path to have xerces/xalan jars in it, but later in your text
you explicitly state the classpath again, which seems to imply you ran
EnvironmentCheck in a different environment than your application.

I'm presuming that checking java.class.path and sun.boot.class.path is
enough to detect .jar files that would be used normally - plus the
(currently unimplemented) seach for *.jar in java.ext.dirs.  JVM experts
are welcome to correct me or suggest a better way to detect this stuff!

- Shane

---- you "Lisa Plato" <lp...@prodigy.net> wrote ----
> Here's what I got:
>
> #---- BEGIN writeEnvironmentReport ($Revision: 1.2 $): Useful properties
> found: ----
> java.version = 1.3.0
> version.JAXP=1.1
> java.ext.dirs=/usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/lib/ext
> version.crimson=not-present
> java.class.path=run.jar
> version.xerces=Xerces 1.3.1

sun.boot.class.path=/usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/lib

> /i18n.jar:
> /usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.3/jre/classes
> version.xalan=Xalan;Java;2.0.1;
> version.xalan1=not-present
> ERROR.version.DOM=ERROR attempting to load DOM level 2 class:
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodException
> #----- END writeEnvironmentReport: Useful properties found: -----
> # WARNING: Potential problems found in your environment!
> #    Check any 'ERROR' items
> ...etc... faq.html
>
> There is no xerces.jar file in any /lib/ext directory on the classpath.
The
> classpath is:
> /usr/java/xerces-1_3_1/xerces.jar:/usr/java/xalan-j_2_0_1/bin/xalan.jar:

/usr/java/jdk1.3:/usr/java/j2sdkee1.3/lib/j2ee.jar:/usr/lib/apache/ApacheJSe

Posted by Kevin German <kg...@medebiz.net>.
We ran into similar problems with WebLogic.  We resolved the problem by
placing Xalan_2_0_0.jar and  Xerces-1_3_0.jar's first on our claspaths.  The
challenge was finding all of the class paths in Weblogic startup and
deployment scripts.  That done we haven't experienced the problems we were
having.  We noticed the problem when we got a classNotFoundException looking
for the Processor class under Xalan 2_0_0.