Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/26 22:10:33 UTC

Manager look and feel

I was playing around with making the manager page look a bit more modern.
(I see bug 55383, which is kinda related)...

I whipped up a proof of concept with a static HTML page, using Bootstrap. I
put it up on github, if anyone wanted to take a look:
https://github.com/larrys/tomcat-manager-bootstrap

I'm not a bootstrap/css guy, and just copied an example bootstrap template,
and some of the areas on the page need a bit of work. I just wanted to get
a quick proof of concept, and solicet feedback before I spent a lot of time
on it.

I was also wondering if there was a reason why the manager servlet has the
HTML inlined in the Java code, instead of using JSPs?

-- Larry

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
We talked about javamelody before hacking on it but it is different cause
storage is pluggable (memory is implemented) and gui is designed as
extensible (not really in jm). It integrates with cdi too (not jm.AFAIK).

The main points are IMO easyness of extensibility  (hawtio failed about it
IMHO), default features and integration with Apache products (I hope TomEE
will rely on it very soon)

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Commons Monitoring is more comparable to Yammer Metrics than Java Melody.

psi-probe/lambda-probe due to GPL nature can't be bundled with Tomcat,
Commons Monitoring could.

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
It would need to be updated to bootstrap 3 (but using a custom bootstrap 2
theme it is not as easy as replacing files) and maybe some basic components
(graphs etc, atm there is no component libs)

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Andrew Carr <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <
Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> > From: Larry Shatzer, Jr. [mailto:larrys@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: Manager look and feel
>
> > Maybe switching the manager application to use JSP for all presentation
>
> I don't think that should be done.  Some sites may disable JSP capability,
> but still want to use the manager webapp.  I suppose one could pre-compile
> the JSP code, but that makes it harder for a site to customize the manager.

Right now it is hard to customize the manager at all. All the presentation
logic is inside the servlet. I had to do a round about hack to modify the
HTML through a servlet filter, which is pretty brittle. It wouldn't be too
hard to provide an ant script or something that allowed you to take the
manager webapp, compile it, and use the precompiled JSP version, for those
specific scenarios where you want to totally disable JSP.

-- Larry

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/08/2013 23:00, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Larry Shatzer, Jr. [mailto:larrys@gmail.com] Subject: Re:
>> Manager look and feel
>
>> Maybe switching the manager application to use JSP for all
>> presentation
>
> I don't think that should be done.  Some sites may disable JSP
> capability, but still want to use the manager webapp.

My instant reaction was +1. On reflection, the Manager does use JSP
already for some aspects and no-one has complained to date. On that
basis I have no objections to making greater use of JSPs.

The current approach does support i18n and any switch to JSP would need
to continue to do so to at least the same degree.

The fall-back for sites that didn't want JSPs but wanted to use the
manager would be to use the text based interface.

> I suppose one
> could pre-compile the JSP code, but that makes it harder for a site
> to customize the manager.
>
> - Chuck

There is also work in progress to improve the docs and the Tomcat
website. It would be preferable if there was a consistent look and feel
between those and the manager app.

Mark

RE: Manager look and feel

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com>.
Christopher,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> On 8/26/13 4:10 PM, Larry Shatzer, Jr. wrote:
> > I was playing around with making the manager page look a bit more modern.
> > (I see bug 55383, which is kinda related)...
> >
> > I whipped up a proof of concept with a static HTML page, using
> Bootstrap. I
> > put it up on github, if anyone wanted to take a look:
> > https://github.com/larrys/tomcat-manager-bootstrap
> >
> > I'm not a bootstrap/css guy, and just copied an example bootstrap
> template,
> > and some of the areas on the page need a bit of work. I just wanted to
> get
> > a quick proof of concept, and solicet feedback before I spent a lot of
> time
> > on it.
>
> Would you be willing to produce some patches for Tomcat? (Either that or
> teach me how to take stuff from github and apply it to Tomcat sources).
> Note that the manager application really should not have any external
> dependencies (e.g. Bootstrap source files loaded remotely) so we may
> need to include some of their sources (yay! AL2.0!), or structure things
> so that they look okay out of the box, but great if you install the
> Bootstrap stuff yourself. The reason we can't just refer to
> twitter.com/bootstrap/main.js (or whatever) is because not everyone
> exposes their Tomcat installation to the Internet.

I'm not opposed to distilling the sample HTML code I provided into the
HTMLManager servlet, if that is a direction that is desirable.

If you just wanted to look at the proof of concept, you can download a zip
of it, and just load the index.html in a browser. (
https://github.com/larrys/tomcat-manager-bootstrap/archive/master.zip) It
is just a standalone HTML page that represents what I think one possible
update to the manager GUI could be, using bootstrap. I wanted to avoid
changing code, and have a quicker feedback cycle on the look and feel in
just static HTML.

I also never intended to have it load an external resource for Bootstrap
stuff.

> > I was also wondering if there was a reason why the manager servlet has
> the
> > HTML inlined in the Java code, instead of using JSPs?
>
> As dumb as it sounds this was probably done to limit the number of
> moving parts in the manager application. IMHO, the manager application
> (nay, all Tomcat-bundled applications) should be an example of clean
> design and implementation using the appropriate technologies at hand.

I think updating the look and feel should be done outside of any switch to
use JSP, to keep the two changes somewhat independent. Maybe switching the
manager application to use JSP for all presentation, while still using the
servlets below for the heavy lifting of deploying, should be done first.
Then updating the look and feel should be easier.

-- Larry

Re: Manager look and feel

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Larry,

On 8/26/13 4:10 PM, Larry Shatzer, Jr. wrote:
> I was playing around with making the manager page look a bit more modern.
> (I see bug 55383, which is kinda related)...
>
> I whipped up a proof of concept with a static HTML page, using Bootstrap. I
> put it up on github, if anyone wanted to take a look:
> https://github.com/larrys/tomcat-manager-bootstrap
>
> I'm not a bootstrap/css guy, and just copied an example bootstrap template,
> and some of the areas on the page need a bit of work. I just wanted to get
> a quick proof of concept, and solicet feedback before I spent a lot of time
> on it.

Would you be willing to produce some patches for Tomcat? (Either that or
teach me how to take stuff from github and apply it to Tomcat sources).
Note that the manager application really should not have any external
dependencies (e.g. Bootstrap source files loaded remotely) so we may
need to include some of their sources (yay! AL2.0!), or structure things
so that they look okay out of the box, but great if you install the
Bootstrap stuff yourself. The reason we can't just refer to
twitter.com/bootstrap/main.js (or whatever) is because not everyone
exposes their Tomcat installation to the Internet.

> I was also wondering if there was a reason why the manager servlet has the
> HTML inlined in the Java code, instead of using JSPs?

As dumb as it sounds this was probably done to limit the number of
moving parts in the manager application. IMHO, the manager application
(nay, all Tomcat-bundled applications) should be an example of clean
design and implementation using the appropriate technologies at hand.

-chris