Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/03 16:21:22 UTC

Web Based Control; OpenDS Control Center

Hi,

We need some sort of Web based configuration at some point. Although
Configuration in DIT is cool, some tasks are better handled with a Web
based UI. Here is a mock of OpenDS Web Control Center:

https://opends.dev.java.net/nonav/public/docs/ui-docs/mockups/html/

It looks like SunDS's current DSCC application.

--
Ersin Er

R.A. and Ph.D Student at the Dept. of Computer Eng. in Hacettepe University
http://www.cs.hacettepe.edu.tr

Committer and PMC Member of The Apache Directory Project
http://directory.apache.org

Re: Web Based Control; OpenDS Control Center

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Chris Custine a écrit :

> <snip/>
>

>> Sounds good and I hope you don't think I am shooting down your idea.
>> I do
>> think it is a good one but it just comes down to prioritization, time to
>> market (can't believe I just used this term on an OS mailing list :)
>> ), and
>> the impact that will result.  I do want to do it though but the when
>> and the
>> how is what I am concerned with.
>>

> No, I know you aren't shutting it down.  I also think that some of the
> features I am thinking about are crossing over into the IDM realm anyway
> (delegated user management, custom user friendly screens, etc.), so thats
> why I think it is a pretty big discussion.  I just didn't want to leave
> Ersin stranded on his first email since I had some similar ideas.

Guys, you both have really good ideas. So does Ersin. My personal
opinion is that having a Web UI + a RCP GUI would be the best solution.
But when I look at the schedule, that's a different story :)

Alex is right when he says that a configuration GUI is mainly used by
admins, which has almost all the wanted accesses on their computers. But
Chris is also right, because you have so many hurdles in front of you
when it comes to install an application on your computer in big
companies ... Plus the fact that asking for a new protocol and port
being allowed on the firewall can be simply impossible sometime...

Damn, this is a complex world !

What about slowing down the planet rotation speed to 48 hours ?

Emmanuel

Re: Web Based Control; OpenDS Control Center

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 6/4/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> type users like
> > developers which may use Studio to develop schema or stored procedures.
> Most companies
> > now use Eclipse for development.  Studio as an eclipse tool can be added
> to an existing
> > Eclipse installation as a set of plugins without requiring the need for
> such approvals to install
> > new applications.  Meaning the plugin update process in eclipse will not
> require the developer
> > to request the installation of a new application on their workstation.
> >
> > But I do agree some organizations will still insist on having a web based
> platform for this.  This
> > is why I'm not abandoning the idea but for me it is merely a matter of
> prioritization.  I think we
> > can get by with an Eclipse RCP application for a while.  Having a web
> based Studio will be
> > a great thing to have but not required.
> >
> > I think SUN is writing a OpenDS web application because they're stinkers
> when it comes to
> > using Eclipse.  This is one of the reasons why they chose a web based
> administration console
> > since they X'd the option to use eclipse.
> >
> > Also note that building a Web application verses a fat client is a bit
> more involved.
> >
> >    (1) server apps must run forever and leaks can add up whereas client
> apps are restarted
> >    (2) lots more moving parts in a webapp
> >    (3) webapp dev is less agile than fat client development
> >
> > I think if we mature the RCP based Studio fat client rapidly through user
> input and solidify the
> > feature that are deemed the most useful then we have a great set of
> requirements already
> > in hand for building the web based studio application.  Knocking it out
> then will be much easier
> > since the requirements are clear and all we need to do is apply some
> mechanics to whip it
> > together.
> >

> > > Anyway, this is a complicated discussion, but at some point I would like
> to re-visit this when we can give it more time.  I have a long list of
> features that I have been building in my head, so maybe at some point we can
> document some ideas and evaluate it from there?
> >

> > Sounds good and I hope you don't think I am shooting down your idea.  I do
> think it is a good one but it just comes down to prioritization, time to
> market (can't believe I just used this term on an OS mailing list :) ), and
> the impact that will result.  I do want to do it though but the when and the
> how is what I am concerned with.
>
> No, I know you aren't shutting it down.  I also think that some of the
> features I am thinking about are crossing over into the IDM realm anyway
> (delegated user management, custom user friendly screens, etc.), so thats
> why I think it is a pretty big discussion.  I just didn't want to leave
> Ersin stranded on his first email since I had some similar ideas.

Hey Chris, thanks :-)

BTW, A administrator may not always have a Studio close to him but a
web ui will always work, at least for some task.

And again BTW, I don't want to be seen as against Studio. I am a great
fan of it since the first day I met ;-)

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,